Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
Foot arch pain
By GuyinPain Comments: 1, member since Mon Jul 04, 2016
On Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:55 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm actually not a dancer, but have an injury that I'm told may be common for dancers and that someone on here might have advice about.

I was doing a lot of barefoot and minimalist running last fall and developed a burning pain in the arch of my right foot which caused me to have to stop running. Over the last couple months I've also developed similar pain in the left foot for some reason. I've used the diagnosis of plantar fasciitis but I think it may have more to do with the Flexor hallucis longus tendon as the pain is generally between the big toe and the heel where that tendon runs.

Anyway, I've been to a podiatrist, chiropractor, massage therapist and an osteopath and haven't found a cure yet. A short list of things I've tried include:
Ball rolling, stretches, calf rolling, ice, anti-inflamitories, massage, graston technique (performed by chiropractor) arch supports, compression socks, taping, dry needling (performed by osteopath).

Nothing seems to be working, a few things like taping have mitigated symptoms while they were in place, but as soon as I stop the problem comes right back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Doug

3 Replies to Foot arch pain

re: Foot arch pain
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Jul 05, 2016 08:33 AM
Have you had your gait cycle analyzed?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:21 PM
Have you seen a physical therapist?

And that's a lot of treatment to have tried, you're not really giving anything enough time to work. Graston massages are great, but they need more than one try!
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2129, member since Sat Jul 20, 2002
On Thu Jul 21, 2016 09:34 PM
Physical therapy worked wonders when I had a severe case of plantar fasciitis in both feet, so I second what Theresa said!

ReplySendWatch