Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
Could a glutening last this long?
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2574, member since Tue Feb 21, 2006
On Sun Jul 10, 2016 01:52 AM

I'm gluten intolerant and have been for almost two years now, it happened all of a sudden an I have been gluten free ever since.
In the past about once a month or every two weeks or so I would allow myself a 'treat' which would be something I can no longer have, pasta or bread or something. I had found that solid things had less of a reaction than liquids like vinegar.

I do it less and less now but was majorly craving donuts, I ignored the craving by promising myself a donut after my ballet exam.
So ballet exam came and went and the donut was amazing but my reaction was far more extreme than ever especially for a solid, my tummy swelled to the point I looked six months pregnant. All the discomfort and gas and bathroom issues were multiplied.

My rule is that if I did it to myself I can't complain but this was now nine days ago and I'm still not feeling good, I'm not in masses of pain but I have stomach discomfort and have about one episode of switching of diarrhoea a day, or it switches back and forth with constipation. Usually my symptoms would last about three days max.

My gluten pain is very close to period pain so I was thinking maybe I was getting my period, I've four more pills this cycle before that though and I've never had pain before for this long.

So could this still be the gluten or is it more likely there is something else going on?
I'm not really in enough pain to warrant a trip to the doctor but if this continues I probably should. The thing is they have all these signs up saying things like: are you sure you're sick, you'll probably get better in a few days if you stay at home. We can't give medicines for many things anyway, rest and drink fluids. I worry that they'll think I'm wasting their time.

4 Replies to Could a glutening last this long?

re: Could a glutening last this long?
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jul 10, 2016 07:15 PM
First of all how long has this reaction lasted because it's an extreme one and I would be worried if it was me or one of my family.

No one is going to say there's nothing wrong with you with your symptoms, go to see your doctor.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Jul 11, 2016 06:53 PM
Hummingbird, she said it'd been going on nine days.

We can rule out the stomach flu (because it's been going on too long), food poisioning (ditto), and even by your own admission, this is an extreme reaction to either possible remaining situation that you've been able to figure out - being ready to start, or having eaten gluten.

Go to the doctor. No one is going to dispute that there's a problem. You've got a pile of symptoms. The only real dispute will be solving the problem.

And for the future...I mean, this probably wasn't worth it, was it? Especially when there's so many easy resources out there to help you? www.findmeglutenfree.com is one. There's an app I just downloaded, called "Allergeez", that you can type in the names of foods, and it will tell you if there's gluten, or dairy or whatever in there. I mean, you can even make your own: urbantastebud.com . . .. You're a smart girl. Dietary restrictions are a pain in the...well, stomach usually, but there's a plan out there that's better then suffering in silence. There literally has to be!
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Jul 11, 2016 07:12 PM
Theresa wrote:

Hummingbird, she said it'd been going on nine days.

Thanks T, that's what happens when you're reading a post and trying to answer it as you get out of the door in a hurry, you'd think I'd know that's not a good idea by now.

I stand by my original post, get to a doctor, no one can tell you there's nothing wrong with having a reaction lie this.
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2574, member since Tue Feb 21, 2006
On Tue Jul 12, 2016 01:14 AM
Okay, thanks. Will make an appointment

ReplySendWatch