Forum: Highland / Highland - Championships

Highland - Championships
Predictions for 2017 Steps?
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:11 PM

It's that time of year again! Would anyone like to make predictions for the 2017 Championship Steps? Or the Premiership dances and steps? With the new highland book coming into effect in January, does anyone think some of the new content will be in the new steps?

Lots to predict! Anyone?

6 Replies to Predictions for 2017 Steps?

re: Predictions for 2017 Steps?
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Thu Jul 14, 2016 01:22 PM
I'm thinking 2&2 sword and probably strathspey and highland reel. Also think that double high cutting might be in the Sean truibhas this year! And I've heard that steps from the new book will be used so that's pretty exciting! For premiership dances I'm thinking hornpipe, bluebonnets, village maid and maybe a laddie. Super excited for the steps to come out!!
By Claramel Comments: 35, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Thu Jul 14, 2016 05:39 PM
I think they will put one of the new cross-over steps in the fling but probably one of the easier versions (the crossover with pause or the crossover with shake) low-cutting might be too ambitious for the first year. There is also the two leap step variants with entrechat - maybe we might see one of those? I hope double hi-cutting is in the Sean truibhas as I like that step.
On Mon Jul 18, 2016 09:11 PM
Steps are out! Highland_dancer5 you are a master predictor, except for the double high cutting. Otherwise you're bang on. Got all four premiership dances. Well done!

What does everyone think of the steps? I think they look interesting. Can't wait to see them on stage. My daughter will dance champ/prem. steps for the first time this year as she will move into premier at some point next year. She will use the cut steps as she's still under 12. They don't look too bad for learning. A few of her dances don't need to change at all, which is great. Enough variety for fun but not so much to learn that it is stressful.
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Mon Jul 18, 2016 09:51 PM
I was pretty surprised that I actually got them right! The championships steps this year aren't super physically demanding, but the challenge will be a lot of learning new material. The premiership steps are interesting though, the hornpipe is going to be tricky for the senior group and I'm surprised they choose the brushing step for the laddie. Overall pretty pleased with the steps :)
On Tue Jul 19, 2016 06:58 AM
I agree. Especially about the tricky hornpipe! But I think even the juniors will find that low-cutting step a challenge. For me that was always the most challenging step of all steps, all dances.

Oh and Claramel your predictions were also very good!
On Tue Jul 19, 2016 07:11 AM
Wow 2017 will be the year of the entrechat. Just about every single possible entrechat there is with the new ST steps and both Laddie AND Blue Bonnets!!

ReplySendWatch