Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Becoming a teacher/choreographer with little experience.
By paulyd93
On Thu Jul 14, 2016 02:59 PM

I know this is a weird question, but please bear with me.

I am from Ireland, and contemporary dance isn't a huge thing here. I have been doing Irish dance since I was 3, and since then have toured with numerous shows, competed on world stages, and even achieved top 5 in the World Irish Dancing Championships. I have also been fortunate enough to work with and choreograph dances for numerous dances who have won the world championships. I am now a fully qualified Irish dance teacher, registered with the leading, most competitive Irish dancing commission in the world.

When I was around 16, I began watch SYTYCD and discovered contemporary/modern/lyrical/jazz dance. I immediately loved it, and since then have taught myself by watch various videos and taking online classes. I know all the correct terminology, and have even learned ballet terminology also. I have been fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to choreograph a few number for local dance groups and productions, and I believe that this is where my talents lie. However, the flexibility and everything that contemporary/jazz/lyrical etc. dancers need isn't there, as I was too old when I started self tutoring.

I would love to break into the assistant/teaching/choreography line of work in America, and would be willing to move to America to pursue this. I have degrees in Education and teaching (academic), so could also provide homeschool tutoring for pupils, and could provide Irish dance lessons. Is this a viable option, or should I just give up on it now? I like Irish dance, but my true passion lies in the more modern contemporary choreography. Sorry for the long winded question! Didn't know how to make it any shorter.

ReplySendWatch