Forum: Irish / Irish Dance Music

Looking for Slowed Down Reel music
By FeisQueenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 15, 2016 09:17 AM

Hi All,

My office is hosting "Diversity Day" next month and I decided to showcase my Irish dancing! I was planning on just doing a brief solo, but I was asked to teach a dance to the audience and I think that will be a blast.

I'd like to do a basic partner dance with hop 123s, but I am looking for slower Reel music so the audience can keep up (I feel like Reel 113 can be too fast.)

I'd prefer it to be more traditional/folk Irish music, but anything that's lively and fun!

Thanks everyone!

4 Replies to Looking for Slowed Down Reel music

re: Looking for Slowed Down Reel music
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:12 AM
The Culkin school has an album, One More Time, that has slowed down practice tracks (I think at 90 and 80) for learning steps. It's on iTunes and Amazon!
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 15, 2016 02:54 PM
Edited by sjerose (158555) on 2016-07-15 14:59:30 Thought of one more thing.
Edited by sjerose (158555) on 2016-07-15 15:00:32 Grammar woes...
Marney McCague's album "Again" has a couple of slow reel sets too, 84 and 100.

You can also download the freeware program Audacity to slow down any existing track you like! It's a pretty simple program, and I've used it to adjust some dance track tempos before. You're welcome to PM me if you choose this route and have any questions about how to get started (seriously, all you do is import the song and then edit the speed with the 'tempo' button).

One more thought I'm throwing out there, you can take or leave it... Sometimes picking slow tempo songs takes away that 'upbeat and fun' feeling you're looking for. If you find that none of the songs you're coming across keep that spirit, see if you can find ways to adjust the steps to a faster track in case the group you're teaching struggles. From my experience, giving them the option to march forward, backwards, and sideways instead of hop-1-2-3's and 7's often puts anxious newbies much more at ease and able to focus on the figures they're learning.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 15, 2016 03:58 PM
tempo slo mo is an iPhone app (free) that can slow down any song in your play list without distorting it.
By rosalinde
On Sun Jul 17, 2016 05:10 AM
Excellent suggestions already given (I have used Audacity in the past to get a set dance to 85).
Just one more suggestion which I have used a few times in the past: if your colleagues aren't the most sporty bunch and/or the thought of doing some actual dancing makes them run for the hills: try walking a Walls of Limerick.
Every 123 is 2 steps, so you can have them walk the dance. In the bit where the ladies change places and then the gents, I make them take 4 steps to cross and then 4 handclaps to fill the time of the 2 123s. It also gives the 'dancers' time to remember what comes next.

ReplySendWatch