Forum: Highland / Highland

Highland - General
Advice on getting more "snap" while dancing?
By happychick09 Comments: 553, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:52 AM

Hi all!

Does anyone have any advice on getting more "snap" while dancing - especially in the fling? I know it has to do with sharpness and hitting movements before you hit the ground but I've also heard from dancers that it's about hitting a movement as you hit the ground (so I guess getting there early versus exactly on time). Thoughts?

My fling is definitely lacking and as I transition into premier in the near future (one more stamp for intermediate!!) this is something that I'm working on. What do your teachers tell you in terms of getting your dancing sharper and more snappy?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

4 Replies to Advice on getting more "snap" while dancing?

re: Advice on getting more "snap" while dancing?
By Claramel Comments: 35, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Fri Jul 22, 2016 03:56 PM
I like to think of getting my foot into the position just before landing. E.g. In the first step aim to have you foot nicely pointed in 2nd position before it touches the ground. We work our shedding at the barre trying to snap the foot around the leg really quickly without loosing any contact. Our teacher tells us that she doesn't want to see any other movement around the leg, that is she wants it so fast that she can't see it and that she wants it in position on the count not after.

Practicing movements at the barre and exercises to build strength in your legs really help.
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Sun Jul 24, 2016 04:54 AM
Sharpness in any dance, but especially the fling is about getting a good amount of elevation to hit the position at the right count. For example, in your shedding you want to be dancing up and hopping/springing high enough that your foot has time to move to 2nd. Also practicing movements slowly is ideal because it means that you're doing the movement properly, so that when you want it to be sharper and faster it's not messy looking.
By happychick09 Comments: 553, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Tue Jul 26, 2016 01:02 PM
Thank you both very much! I think this is something I will have to work on "on the barre" without much weight-bearing in order to get the movement in the muscles. Sometimes I feel like like a movement is sharp and when I look at it in the mirror it almost looks like it's wobbling to get into position.

Thanks again!!
By Handerson Comments: 31, member since Thu May 15, 2014
On Tue Sep 06, 2016 07:52 PM
My daughter is little, but using a chair to help get higher helps her with sharpness, also she was taught to practice slowly to get it first.
She is small though, so if you're taller a chair might not help - you get the idea though.

ReplySendWatch