Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

Girls & Guys PG-13
Dealing with loneliness
By foreverlostmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1917, member since Sun Feb 15, 2004
On Fri Jul 22, 2016 01:47 PM

So 2 weeks ago I relocated to Arizona after growing up my whole life (27 years) in Northern California. Its been stressful and challenging but I am happy to finally not be long distance with my guy after three years of dating.

The problem? I am so bored and lonely. Granted I do have a job that keeps me busy about 37 hours of the week, but I do have three days off a week.

I am used to being at home. I had a very tight knit group of about 6 close friends and there was always something going on. Though I usually only went out with them 1-2 days a week, it was still my life. Seeing their lives still going on facebook sucks a bit, as selfish as that sounds.

My guy is great but he is a homebody. After he gets home from work he is content watching tv or playing video games until bed time. Me? I go stir crazy being in the house too long. He is not a bar person.. I'm used to my life being like Cheers and grabbing a beer after work. I know that I cannot depend on him for my source of happiness and I need to build my own life out here or I will go crazy.

He doesn't have many friends so meeting their wives or girlfriends is not really a possibility. Though he is in the military he also doesn't like going to military functions. I work in a small office and though the women are very nice, they are also all much older than i am. I know I need to join a dance studio but that is not financially in the cards for another month.

I don't know if I am ranting or looking for advice..im just sick of feeling alone.

4 Replies to Dealing with loneliness

re: Dealing with loneliness
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Jul 23, 2016 07:16 AM
Want to meet people in a strange town? Try a recreational type of dance. I joined a folk dance group right when I finished my schooling, and it worked.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sun Jul 24, 2016 06:11 PM
Look what's available on living social and groupon in your area. When I was unemployed and bored to tears, I found a really great yoga deal that I could afford and gave me something to do during the day. I would also look and see if there are any young adult clubs in your area. My church has one that is hugely popular. Libraries or book stores might have book clubs. Running clubs are generally free if you're into that. All great ways to meet people (and some ideas I should take up myself as sometimes I feel a bit lonely in my city even though I've been here quite a while now!). Dance can be expensive but you can probably find other activities for a bit cheaper while you save up and get settled.

Also, if you are particular for any political candidate or party, now is the time they need volunteers and remember it's not just a presidential election. Another way to meet people you already have something in common with.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Mon Jul 25, 2016 01:28 PM
When I moved back to Chicago with my husband from Texas, I only had about 2 friends. I'm in several childfree groups on FB and I met my best friends in one. Join a few Facebook groups for your area.

I also joined a marching band because I missed playing and spinning, it's amazing, it's an LGBT marching band and it's for people who missed playing and are either LGBT or LGBT allies. I now have friends in that too. :)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:02 AM
To add a bit to what @Dancing EMT said, you might also try looking on-line at the different MeetUp groups that are available. Depending on where you live, there might be a robust selection of varied interest/varied hobby groups available for you to try out and meet new people who have the same interests you do.

ReplySendWatch