Forum: Competitions

Good Novice Competitions?
By OnPointeArts2015
On Thu Aug 04, 2016 08:56 AM

We are a fairly new studio (Starting into our second year of business). We would like to go to a couple of competitions this year with our girls, but want to make sure that the experience is uplifting and encouraging. We are located in Northeast Ohio, and there are TONS of competitions to choose from. Are there any competitions anyone knows of that are known for being good "Novice" competitions? I know most have a novice division, but I have gone to competitions with the studio I used to work at where the novice divisions didn't always seem all that novice...

5 Replies to Good Novice Competitions?

re: Good Novice Competitions?
By ChasingDreams
On Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:37 PM
At all competitions unfortunately you will see some studios putting their non novice kids in the novice division. However, some good competitions with pretty fairly judged divisions are; Beyond the Stars, Power of Dance, and Starbound. I wish you the best of luck!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 07, 2016 09:08 AM
I broken a duo that I've had for a long time into competing in the last couple of years, and they've done Hall of Fame and Nexstar, and I was really impressed in both cases with how balanced their Novice division was (everybody really followed along, and put their genuinely Novice kids in Novice!), how they were handled in the critiques, and the like.

Although in the case of my kids, they clog. And one of the dear, sweet judges at Nexstar was trying to talk about improving their technique. Which is fair, everybody's technique can always improve. But she tried to talk about it using tap terms, which my kids rolled their eyes so hard at, that her larger point was completely lost on them. So, there was that. Haha...
By chesterkitty1313
On Mon Aug 08, 2016 02:50 PM
For our novice competitions since we we go to two,Star power and Star Talent. Also some of our novice groups and trios go to contest of champions in Florida.
By ald1231
On Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:45 AM
Most competitons have levels including a novice level. I would NOT recommend most convention competitions, for example, NUVO,JUMP, Adreleine, NYCDA, LADM, 24/7, although these all have the option of just taking classes and not competing which would be a great opportunity for your dancers. Competitions I would recommend would include, Showstoppers, Stage One, KAR, ShowBiz, Hall of Fame, Starquest, Believe, Nextstar, Talent on Parade, PrimeTime, EDGE, Dance Showcase USA, Groove, Starpower, Starbound. I can say from experience that some GREAT nationals for novice dances would be ShowBiz and ShowStoppers! Hope this helps:)
By rose5678
On Fri Oct 14, 2016 02:30 PM
We've only been around for a couple years also. Last year we competed novice division at Showstoppers, Believe, and Inspire National Dance Compeition. We also went to Inspire NDC nationals! All the competition experiences were excellent.

ReplySendWatch