Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: new girl, new in ballet some help plz.
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 01:19 AM
That is great that you started ballet! Keep it up and the best to you .

Keep us posted on how your classes are going.

ps: that is good that you are wearing a dance belt for now .
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 01:24 AM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2016-09-15 01:45:11
CinderEmma wrote:

As for the dance belt, I would ... wear it ... for protection.

One extremely common myth or misunderstanding about dance belts is that they some how prevent the wearer from experiencing pain and injury if he's struck hard. Dance belts are completely analogous to brassieres in that both articles are meant simply to support exposed, soft tissue that would otherwise be free to move or shift. A person who is struck will feel the same pain whether they are wearing their soft tissue support garment or not. A cloth covering with light, flexible padding, such as a brassiere or dance belt, will not dissipate force. (Male players of baseball and hockey, where hardballs and pucks move at high velocity, wear rigid, inflexible cod pieces as a kind of armour plating to protect them against any fast moving projectiles that might happen to strike them.). I hope this dispels any misconceptions.
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:58 AM
Yeah, I think Storm_Trooper is probably right about the dance belt not having any protection. I never knew this was a myth until now, and I have to admit that as a girl I don't know very much about male dancewear. I just always heard previous teachers telling guys something about the dance belt being necessary for avoiding injury so I just naturally assumed that it functioned like a cod piece or something. (Thanks Storm_Trooper for setting me straight!)
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch