Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
Joining dance with short achilles
By lauriebean Comments: 1, member since Wed Aug 17, 2016
On Wed Aug 17, 2016 06:29 PM
Edited by lauriebean (277537) on 2016-08-17 18:51:18

Hello! I'm 17 and just starting dance in september (I'm really late I know c': but I'm joining to better my dancing skills because I'm auditioning for musical theatre for college, and they have dance placement. And because I've had a passion to dance for a while^^)

The issue is that I'm taking Jazz and Ballet, and I'm already starting late but on top of it, my achilles tendon is amazingly short (I can barely put my heel on the ground, but it's been getting a lot better now that I've been stretching.) I really want to dance, but I know it'll be a problem, and I don't have the finances to really go out and get it treated by a doctor at the moment. The least I'm doing is getting a brace to wear at night to hopefully help stretch out the tendons, and I really hope it works!

Does anyone have any advice, or have they dealt with short achilles? It's starting to hurt my self confidence a bit because I know I'll already be different than the other dancers. ;;

Thank you!

2 Replies to Joining dance with short achilles

re: Joining dance with short achilles
By MeaMSBMD Comments: 121, member since Tue May 21, 2013
On Thu Aug 18, 2016 07:24 AM
Hi! I also have a really short Achilles' tendon :(. I'm really sorry to hear that you do as well, it can be very painful. You can ask some of your ballet teachers what their advice is. Usually, ballet teachers can be just as knowledgable as a physical therapist in terms of recommending stretches and treatment. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body and make the right choice. If you're in serious pain, it's okay to sit out for a day or two. The best way to avoid injury is obviously to be diligent about your technique. As for your concern about being "different" than other dancers, a short Achilles' tendon is actually really really common. Id be surprised if there isn't another dancer in your class , or at least your school, with the same problem. Good luck! Wish I could provide you with more help.
re: Joining dance with short achilles
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:50 AM
MeaMSBMD wrote:

Usually, ballet teachers can be just as knowledgable as a physical therapist in terms of recommending stretches and treatment.

Can you please explain a bit more what is meant or implied by this assertion? Isn't the training (and the total number of hours devoted to learning about systems, assessment and treatment modalities) vastly different for dance teachers vs. physios?

ReplySendWatch