Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Highland - Hornpipe
ISO - 51cm hat I think. How should they sit?
By Handerson Comments: 31, member since Thu May 15, 2014
On Thu Sep 08, 2016 07:24 PM

My daughter danced her first hornpipe at a competition. Much cuteness.
She borrowed this hat which was a 50cm from her friend - they swapped on the way past as she came off and her friend went on. It was tight - left a ring. How are they supposed to sit? On the hair line or on the forehead? Do you need to change their hair when it's time for hornpipe? What do you do with their bun?
Any advice welcomed.

4 Replies to ISO - 51cm hat I think. How should they sit?

re: ISO - 51cm hat I think. How should they sit?
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Fri Sep 09, 2016 07:18 AM
I don't think you will get away from the ring. I think that's pretty common. It looks right in the pics, though.
On Fri Sep 09, 2016 05:20 PM
Ah is it! Thank you. The one she borrowed was 50cm, that's why I thought 51cm would be better. At least she doesn't compete the jig yet so she will have time to get rid of her ring before the results lol.
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Sat Sep 10, 2016 09:59 AM
The hat should sit parallel to the ground, about two fingers above your eyebrows.

You can either make a really low bun so that it's under the hat at the back (on the outside). This only works if you don't have a very big bun though.

Or, you can take out your bun but leave the ponytail and tuck that under the hat (on the inside). Usually it's a national dance after the hornpipe so you can either leave your hair out or redo the bun quickly enough.

I find that if the hat is tipped back towards the hairline, it makes it really obvious if the dancer is looking down.

But I agree. The forehead ring goes hand in hand with the hornpipe unfortunately. If you have your own hat you can shape it a bit more into an oval but it's never really perfect.

Congratulations on getting to the hornpipe! It's still one of my favourite dances.
On Sat Sep 10, 2016 05:29 PM
Today she was lucky enough to be given a hornpipe hat that her auntie (my sister) got for her Christmas 22 years ago!! My sister and my mum hunted it out for her and surprised her with it. It still has my sisters name written inside in little kid hand writing.
So cute and such a lovely surprise! Fits way better than the one in the photo and since its old, it was so much softer too. She was so happy.

ReplySendWatch