Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe - Beginners
I can't get fully on my box. Help!
By xoali Comments: 6, member since Sat May 18, 2013
On Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:46 PM

Hi there. I recently got new pointe shoes and I'm not able to fully get on my box. This is my third pair - I have had Bloch serenades (incorrectly fitted), Capezio aria (feet grew so I had to get another pair). My current ones are Grishko pro flex 2007. But the teacher keeps repeating I'm not fully on my box and despite working on my feet everyday with strengthening and trying to make them more flexible, I keep not getting on my box. Which is a bit discouraging since I've been working hard on my feet. I'd like to think I have decent arches but I'm not sure what the problem is. The new shoes feel correct I even like the more softer flexible shank. Is it my feet flexibility or? Please help. Here are some pics, linked since I'm not allowed to post pics.
s15.postimg.org . . .
s15.postimg.org . . .
s15.postimg.org . . .
One of demi pointe, and the other two on pointe.

4 Replies to I can't get fully on my box. Help!

re: I can't get fully on my box. Help!
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sat Sep 10, 2016 05:21 PM
Your arch is gorgeous. But your instep, the part that's above or on top of the ankle, looks tight. You will need to stretch that out a lot more. Depending on your age, it will come in time. If it doesn't, then you will need to go over the soft or 3/4 or half shank shoe. You might also need a lower vamp, depending on how tight your instep is.
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Sep 10, 2016 06:39 PM
You almost need to think about the instep popping over the top of your shoe, that's going to help you make the shape you're looking for. I would also recommend theraband exercises to help strengthen the intrinsic support muscles in your feet.
By audreeflorence Comments: 3, member since Fri Aug 26, 2016
On Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:46 PM
Edited by audreeflorence (277576) on 2016-09-26 23:49:13
Hi Xoali!
First of all, how long ago did you start going en pointes? From what I see, I would say there is nothing wrong with your feet. Of course, theraband and feet strengthening exercises are always a good thing especially when starting to wear pointe shoes.

I think Grishko 2007 have 3/4 shanks... do they? Because that might just help you, especially if your first shoes weren't properly fitted..
You say you struggle with getting entirely on your box, but you seem to be doing well for someone who's new to pointe shoes..... I'd say to give yourself a little time and keep on strengthening your feet everyday.
I don't think you should change the vamp length or the shank hardness/softness because you are almost there! If several weeks go by and, despite your hard work you see no change, then it might be time to think about changing the shoes... but I wouldn't recommend to change your shoes at this point.

I know I keep repeating myself, but it seem like you just need (more) time and practice.
If you could tell me when you started pointes, I could maybe be more specific or give a better answer.

I hope I somehow helped, keep on working, you have beautiful arches and you'll get there soon! : )
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 855, member since Mon Jan 23, 2012
On Thu Oct 13, 2016 08:31 PM
Not sure if you've solved your problem or not, but if I were you, I'd work more on developing the strength and flexibility of your ankles, specifically. I used to have the exact same problem! If you ask your pointe instructor, she should be able to give you some ankle-specific exercises, stretches, etc. that are appropriate for your situation. Good luck! :)

ReplySendWatch