Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Politics & Current Affairs
U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win?
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4728, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Wed Sep 14, 2016 02:09 PM

Thank God, there is only a month and a half until the election. Already I'm tired of the campaigning and mudslinging. I honestly don't think either one of the candidates, Hillary or Donald, is going to be any better than the other. Neither Hillary Clinton nor Donald Trump looks or behaves as a president. Donald Trump certainly needs a mouth filter.

That said, who do you think will win? I personally wouldn't vote for either one of them.

60 Replies to U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win?

re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 04:30 PM
I think Hillary will win but I also don't like either of them. Of the other candidates, Evan McMullin best fits my preferences in a president, though of course he'd never win, he's not even on the ballot in every state.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 07:02 PM
Edited by schuhplattler (172013) on 2016-09-15 19:03:37 typo
Who will win? Certainly not the citizenry.

Suggestion: Unless the polls are so close that you have to vote your lesser of two evils, vote third party. theweek.com . . . - It is high time we told the election buyers to get a hand basket and use it.
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 07:29 PM
If Donald Trump wins, he may be able to bring something to the table as far as getting the country's finances back on track. He's a real estate mogul and a businessman, so he may be able to have some grip on how to run the country's finances.

In the campaign ads, Hillary Clinton is getting slammed for her "deplorables" comment. Donald Trump's comments about banning Muslims from entering the U.S., and his comments about immigrants from Mexico have been no different. His idea of a wall between the U.S. and Mexico smacks of Dubya's idea of a 700-mile fence. If you remember, Bush made a complete laughing stock of himself on that idea.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:17 PM
I sincerely hope Hillary wins. I feel like out of the possible candidates, she has a legitimate understanding of how our country is run. Trump is a businessman - very smooth talker, knows how to play the press, but America is not a business. And Trump can't file chapter 11 on the US, like he's done on several of his businesses to get it out of trouble. I don't idealize Clinton, she was not my first choice, but I feel she would be a very competent president. I cannot say the same of Trump. In fact, I feel that Trump is the absolute worst possible presidential candidate nominated this far. So count me in for Hillary.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Sep 16, 2016 07:09 AM
If Donald Trump wins, he may be able to bring something to the table as far as getting the country's finances back on track. He's a real estate mogul and a businessman, so he may be able to have some grip on how to run the country's finances.

If he runs the country the way he runs a business...he's going to sell the US to China and buy back the naming rights.

Trump University? He had nothing to do with it, his name was just on it.

Trump Winery, that he's so happy to brag on? Isn't even his. Owned by his son.

Trump Steaks, that he spent some time bragging about, I think in the speech where he accepted the nomination? thinkprogress.org . . .

Various portions of the Trump "empire" have filed for bankruptcy, to the tune of six filings in 25 years. www.politifact.com . . .

Do I think Hilary Clinton is the President this country needs right now? Admittedly, no I do not. Does the prospect of Trump "running this country like a business" excite me? No it does not. Does the prospect of Trump running this country at all excite me? No it does not. It frustrates me and makes me scared. And sad. And a little confused. So I wasn't initially, but believe - I'm with her.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Fri Sep 16, 2016 08:15 AM
Hillary has been vilified so much by sexism in the media, in our political system, and by institutionalized sexism in our general culture of life. I don't agree with all the decisions she made while Secretary of State, and I voted for Bernie in the primaries, but the more I research, the more I see just how biased against her our media is.

Just take a read. I'm not telling anyone to change their their voting decisions, but it did open my eyes to the image of Clinton I was raised with, and how it might not have been the most accurate portrait of such an educated, experienced person. I am a lot more critical about articles and media spots now, for either candidate.

www.nytimes.com . . .

www.revelist.com . . .

www.washingtonpost.com . . .

That being said, I also am furious at the body-shame nude "art" of Donald Trump that went up (and was promptly taken down) a few weeks ago. Regardless of how I feel about the guy as a presidential candidate, NO ONE should be body-shamed.
On Fri Sep 16, 2016 02:19 PM
My brother said that he's all for a woman being president, just not Hillary Clinton.

A few weeks ago, there some political animated cartoons of the candidates. I thought it was hilarious to see a cartoon of Trump doing the Macarena.
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win? (karma: 1)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Sep 17, 2016 09:08 AM
Who do I think is going to win? Clinton. Whom would I like to see win? Trump absolutely.
On Sat Sep 17, 2016 09:25 PM
If Hillary was so ill after the 9-11 appearance, why wasn't she rushed straight to a hospital? Is she using a physical look-alike?
www.youtube.com . . .
I can't vote for such a deceiver.
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win? (karma: 2)
On Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:12 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2016-09-18 00:18:39
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2016-09-18 02:07:37
Good thing Trump isn't into deception I guess. Very honest, upstanding, and consistently forthright in his responses.

I'm just saying, if that's what you're basing your vote on, it's good that Trump has always been truthful.

And I should say, I don't find Hillary blameless. I recognize that she has many flaws and shortcomings. And frankly, I disagree with some of her platforms. And third party isn't any better, in my opinion. I'm supporting Clinton because I feel she is the most competent of all the current possibilities. And I'd rather see a president who understands the ins and outs of the role in the White House than a president who is all ego and pomp.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sun Sep 18, 2016 06:07 AM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2016-09-18 06:14:31
Unfortunately, one of them. I'm voting for Gary Johnson though. I can't morally vote for either of the major idiots running. Gary has a decent shot of winning if people pulled their head's out of their rears and didn't look at it as a wasted vote. If everyone who thinks that Gary Johnson is a "wasted vote", HE'D WIN!

Trump is a blow hard bigot and Hilary is a corrupt, lying criminal. Neither of them are fit for the job.

Soooooo.....Gary Johnson all the way!!!!!
On Sun Sep 18, 2016 07:03 AM
I am not certain that a third party vote would be a wasted vote even if the poles are running neck-and-neck in both the nation and your state.

If this is not the case, then a third party vote is definitely not a wasted vote.
By ballet4beth Comments: 12, member since Fri Jul 26, 2013
On Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:48 PM
The world is doomed if Trump somehow wins!

Please just no, don't let it happen!
On Wed Sep 21, 2016 03:14 PM
If Hillary were doing so well, she would not be showing fake crowds at her rallies. Here is the proof: www.youtube.com . . .
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:37 PM
Image hotlink - 'https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14222308_1374402019240922_7236754080673645918_n.jpg?oh=0a947059c196505951c5259b2c67411b&oe=587206B1'
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Sep 24, 2016 05:07 PM
As someone looking in from not very far away I think you're all caught between the devil and the deep blue sea (pick which one is which yourself) however I think Hilary will do the least damage.
On Sun Sep 25, 2016 07:14 PM
If in a hypothetical situation neither one of them wins, I've wondered who would then be elected president. Would one of the third party candidates win?
On Mon Sep 26, 2016 02:06 PM
Gary Johnson is the current third party nominee. However for that to happen, the third party needs do more than show up during presidential election season. For the third party movement to really be taken seriously, they need to start getting in at the local and state level. You can't hide in the library all year and then show up at prom and expect to elected Prom Queen/King.

My opinion, third party needs to start getting involved and making a name for themselves so that when presidential elections roll around, the general public know A) who they are and B) what they stand for/represent. Until that happens, I don't see a third party nominee actually getting elected. That's also why you'll hear a lot of people say a third party vote is a wasted vote. It wouldn't be wasted if enough people knew the platforms, but since they don't, it ends up being more of a protest vote than anything.

Unfortunately, with enough people who hate either (or both) major candidates, there will be just enough of a third party vote to get them on the board, but since a large number of Americans don't know or don't care about third party candidates (again, see lack of exposure), the votes can actually skew an election to outcomes that may not be truly representative of American opinion and preference.

www.bostonglobe.com . . .
On Mon Sep 26, 2016 08:47 PM
I've just watched the presidential debate on TV. What were your thoughts? I have to say, neither one of them said anything new. There were things Hillary said should be done, to which Donald replied, "Why didn't you do any of these things thirty years ago?".
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win? (karma: 1)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:57 PM
It was ridiculous tonight. More reality show than debate. November 8 can't get here fast enough. Hillary was not my favorite choice, but at this point, she is the only choice. The alternative is unthinkable.

kk~
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Sep 27, 2016 08:25 AM
Donald Trump was like a petulant child who had been caught doing something wrong and wouldn't admit it.
On Tue Sep 27, 2016 08:58 AM
Mansplaining.

That is my opinion on the debates.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Sep 27, 2016 09:23 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2016-09-27 09:26:03
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2016-09-27 09:26:56
maureensiobhan wrote:

If in a hypothetical situation neither one of them wins, I've wondered who would then be elected president. Would one of the third party candidates win?

Are you non-USian? Just curious, since that's not how it works here. In the US, whoever gets the most votes wins--they don't have to get 50% of the votes or 2/3 or whatever.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Sep 27, 2016 09:53 AM
I need Hillary to win.

That's all I'm saying.
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch