Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win?
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Tue Sep 27, 2016 02:05 PM
Yes, I'm from the the US. I was just wondering about that.
On Fri Oct 14, 2016 07:05 PM
Has anyone noticed how all of a sudden, all sorts of sex abuse scandals are being brought against Trump? It seems to be very convenient timing, now that we're coming into the final stretch of the campaign.
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win? (karma: 1)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sat Oct 15, 2016 09:45 AM
I'm less interested in the timing than in the fact that he is a revolting pig, caught on a hot mike admitting he is a revolting pig.

kk~
On Tue Nov 08, 2016 01:28 PM
From what I've seen, so far, Hillary is in the lead, but by only a hair's breadth.
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 09:03 AM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2016-11-09 09:55:33 wanted to add something
Well, we now have president-elect Donald Trump. His win wasn't a landslide, but he still won by a healthy margin. I don't think he's going to be any better a president than Hillary would have been.

On our local news yesterday, one person who was going to vote for Gary Johnson told the reporters, "One of them is going to win. Whoever Wins is going to be the worst president this country's ever had.". I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he's right.
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win? (karma: 4)
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:49 PM
maureensiobhan wrote:

Well, we now have president-elect Donald Trump. His win wasn't a landslide, but he still won by a healthy margin. I don't think he's going to be any better a president than Hillary would have been.

You, then, are clearly part of the white majority who voted for Trump. People everywhere - people I know in real life, people who I care deeply about - are literally afraid for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. People are unfriending family members to protect them. Immigrants, minorities and People of Color, LGBTQIA, are all scrubbing their social media profiles so that they escape notice, so their friends and families don't come under attack. So they don't end up dead.

How the freaking hell can you say with a straight face that he's no worse? People are actually afraid right now. You out right voted for a man endorsed by the KKK. His win is emboldening racists and homophobes and - I promise you, violence against these groups will increase. Suicides will increase. In fact I cannot tell you how many times in my Twitter feed I saw people last night posting the number to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1 (800) 273-8255) because people feel so much personal despair. Sexual assault will increase. More than half the country collectively shrugged their shoulders and said, you know? It's fine. Groping? Unwanted touching? It's. All. Fine.

How many women will not be able to have annual Pap smears and mammograms since the clinics they can afford to visit are being shut down? How many babies are going to be abandoned because contraception was not available to them? How many women will die of botched abortions because they were desperate? Abortions that could have prevented in the first place with proper preventive medical means?

The entire government is Republican right now. Who is going to keep him in check? He has more power than any other president. And that is horrifying given how hot tempered, unforgiving, and reckless he is. My biggest wish is that he gets one term, and that it's a super quiet one. I pray for my friends and I pray that whatever legislation he manages to undo, will be fixable.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:55 PM
Sumayah wrote:

maureensiobhan wrote:

You, then, are clearly part of the white majority who voted for Trump. People everywhere - people I know in real life, people who I care deeply about - are literally afraid for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. People are unfriending family members to protect them. Immigrants, minorities and People of Color, LGBTQIA, are all scrubbing their social media profiles so that they escape notice, so their friends and families don't come under attack. So they don't end up dead.

How the freaking hell can you say with a straight face that he's no worse? People are actually afraid right now. You out right voted for a man endorsed by the KKK. His win is emboldening racists and homophobes and - I promise you, violence against these groups will increase. Suicides will increase. In fact I cannot tell you how many times in my Twitter feed I saw people last night posting the number to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1 (800) 273-8255) because people feel so much personal despair. Sexual assault will increase. More than half the country collectively shrugged their shoulders and said, you know? It's fine. Groping? Unwanted touching? It's. All. Fine.

How many women will not be able to have annual Pap smears and mammograms since the clinics they can afford to visit are being shut down? How many babies are going to be abandoned because contraception was not available to them? How many women will die of botched abortions because they were desperate? Abortions that could have prevented in the first place with proper preventive medical means?

The entire government is Republican right now. Who is going to keep him in check? He has more power than any other president. And that is horrifying given how hot tempered, unforgiving, and reckless he is. My biggest wish is that he gets one term, and that it's a super quiet one. I pray for my friends and I pray that whatever legislation he manages to undo, will be fixable.

This x1000.

I was devastated when I realized Clinton was not going to win.
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 01:43 PM
Sumayah, I did NOT vote for Trump, nor for Hillary. I did NOT vote at all.
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 01:46 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2016-11-09 13:46:59
And that is the real flaw in the democratic system...
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win? (karma: 2)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 01:54 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2016-11-09 13:55:19
maureensiobhan wrote:

If you didn't vote ( and you could have)you can't complain or comment, in my opinion.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 02:38 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2016-11-09 14:39:57 bad link
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2016-11-09 14:40:52
maureensiobhan wrote:

Yes you did. By not voting, your silence is deafening. Of the 231,556,622 eligible voters, 46.9% didn't vote. So effectively, 46.9% of our country - yourself included - didn't care enough to pull the trigger and take a stand against bigotry, against racism, against homophobia, against the many, many horrible qualities Trump embodies.

Yes, Clinton lied and she's not the most ideal candidate I would like to have seen the DNC back. But daily, right now, my friends have to worry about whether they'll be beaten up or gunned down because of their skin color or their gender identity or their sexual preferences in an environment that has some protections and rights in place for them. They are looking down the barrel of man who hates them, and they are fearful that once those protections are removed they will be targeted and murdered.

Not to mention, by not voting you allow yourself to stand behind a vice president who had requested a stipulation to the CARE Act that "resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior" for gays to be, you know, made not gay anymore. He also helped sign a law into effect that makes women who have had a miscarriage be confronted with choices on how to dispose (burial or cremation) of their dead fetus. While some may welcome the choice for the purpose of closure, I cannot think of a single woman I know who has been through the heartbreak of a miscarriage who wants to be confronted with the decision of the disposal of their dead child.

Not voting means that you're dandy with all that. It doesn't bother you at all. Because if it did, you would have voted - if not for Clinton, for a third party (which I have an opinion on too, but at least they voted).
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 08:18 PM

I am almost too heartbroken to say more. (But of course I will, just as soon as I stop crying...)

Hugs to all. xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:41 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2016-11-09 22:49:14 typo
maureensiobhan wrote:

On our local news yesterday, one person who was going to vote for Gary Johnson told the reporters, "One of them is going to win. Whoever Wins is going to be the worst president this country's ever had.". I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he's right.

I mean no disrespect to you Maureen, but HONESTLY???? Democracy is cumbersome, messy, slow, and often confusing. But in order for it to work, every. single. citizen. who enjoys the freedom and benefits of the system MUST meet their obligation to be INFORMED and EDUCATED and VOTE in order to insure a democracy of excellence.

The numbers are still not "solid" ... as the absentee votes are never completely calculated and certified immediately... however, here are the most recent numbers on this election, compared to other recent elections.

59,948,000 - McCain 2008 - lost
69,499,000 - Obama 2008 - won
59,143,000 - Romney 2012 - lost
62,611,000 - Obama - won
59,611,000 - Trump 2016 - won
59, 626,000 - Clinton 2016 - lost

Of the last 6 major-party presidential candidates, Trump garnered the next-to-last number of popular votes, beating only Mitt Romney, and by only 1%.

This is NOT a healthy majority. It was a razor-thin victory in the Electoral College. It is a call to coexist politically. If he keeps just half of his campaign promises, there is going to be a lot of pain in those numbers for all kinds of people, especially those with per-existing medical conditions.

The idea that some "man on the street" says either one will be the worst ever is hardly an educated opinion. Before the election many MANY well educated and experienced professional economists and political scientists as well as those well versed in International Relations wrote many MANY thoughtful pieces examining the substance of the major party's platforms. Although the point is mute, it would do everyone well to read some of these in their free time in the months to come. It will ease the pain of the shape of things to come... only two choices here... either Trump will keep his promises or he won't. Either way, by examining the actual facts, when either happens, y'all can't say you didn't know. There is a very good reason children are not allowed to vote... they are not capable of examining facts and sound reasoning. Half of the electorate did not vote. Half of those who did seemed to be committed to ignorance. With so much at stake, I can not comprehend this commitment.

I can respect a difference of opinion about which is the best way to address the challenges of this nation. I can not accept that so many seemingly decent humans are OK with bigotry, OK with sexism, OK with name calling and disrespect. I am further stunned that they are OK with no experience coupled with a long, long history of financial shadiness and disregard for individual responsibility.

This election has been the most heartbreaking moment in my history as an American, and I've lived through 9/11 and Watergate.

On 9/12/01, Americans came together and united for the sake of our mutual future even if we did not support Bush in the election or the way the Supreme Court gave the election to him in violation of the US Constitution. In the months that followed, it became clear that the attacks could have been prevented if the Bush administration had heeded many warnings, yet there was NOT the gloating and nastiness I have seen today.

Following Watergate, life long Republicans in the Senate did the right thing and examined the evidence against one of their favorite sons, Richard Nixon, and voted to impeach, leading to his resignation. The current Senate has, in violation of the Constitution, refused to do their job and vote on a new Supreme Court justice, and vowed to continue this obstruction if Trump was not elected. This is a travesty. And the fact that so many Americans are OK with it is a greater travesty.

I wish I could agree that "we will have to just wait and see", but I am too educated, experienced, and dare I say immodestly, intelligent, to be so lackadaisical about something as important as the safety of the entire world.

All this said, I must repeat... I mean no disrespect to Maureen, or anyone else who disagrees with me. My recent posts have met with many harsh and hurtful words, and I hope my heartbreak and passion will not be misunderstood. I deeply love my country and honestly, if any of my children behaved the way this candidate or many of his supporters did in this election,and in the aftermath today..., I would die of embarrassment.

I implore those of you who are not Americans... PLEASE don't judge us all by this election. I have always found most of my fellow Americans to be kind, decent, people.

Hugs to all
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:20 AM
I am appalled that some people willingly cut off their noses to spite their faces. I am equally appalled that some people stood by and did. Nothing. Remember that quote by MLK, Jr? About the appalling silence of the good people? Yeah. This is what he meant.

kk~
On Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:19 PM
Several little girls at my studio are heartbroken.

Tomorrow, I am going to offer them cards with postage attached to offer their sympathy, thanks, and hopes for the future.

If anyone wants to send a note, here is the address.

Hillary Clinton
PO Box 5256
New York NY 10185-5256

Keep On Dancing*
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win? (karma: 3)
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3639, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:54 AM

As a non-American, this simultaneously breaks my heart and infuriates me. You live in the most powerful country in the entire world. The actions of your president affect everyone in the world. To not exercise your democratic privilege of voting is devastating to every single last person on this planet.

I would have given everything I have to have been able to have voted in that election. Instead, I sat powerless with my husband watching the election results slowly deteriorate into a Trump win. Instead, I sobbed as I watched Hillary's concession speech, feeling her indescribable pain and the fear of so many minority Americans. Her loss is all of our losses.

This is horrifying.
On Fri Nov 11, 2016 07:46 PM
In the wake of this horrifying election and the even more horrifying aftermath (didn't think it was possible for the so called winners, that is Trump supporters, to be more hateful, and yet....)a few support groups have sprung up on facebook which have actually been helpful in restoring sanity to some of us who are profoundly depressed and frightened.

Here is something posted by another heartbroken American on a page called, Donald Trump is not my President. It was written by Carmen Arguelles of Suffolk County, New York. I share this with permission.... xoxo ·

Dear Red States:
We're ticked off at your Neanderthal attitudes and politics and we've decided we're leaving.
We in New York intend to form our own country and we're taking all Hillary supporting States with us.
In case you aren't aware that includes California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Nevada ( you non sinners don't want Vegas anyway) Minnesota, Illinois and others including the rest of the Northeast.

We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to the people of the new country of The Enlightened States of America (E.S.A).

To sum up briefly:
You get Texas ( they always want to leave us anyway ) , Oklahoma and all the slave states.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren. You get Bobby Jindal and Todd Akin.
We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.
We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.
We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss.
We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs.

You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.

With the Blue States in hand we will have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation's fresh fruit, 95% of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the US low sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors.
Times have changed we can grow what we want and need and will stop using fosil fuels
We Keep Tesla
Also all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals then we lefties.

We're taking the good weed too. You can have that crap they grow in Mexico.

Sincerely,

Citizen of the Enlightened States of America
The E.S.A.

I want to thank the writer personally, as this is the first time in days I have been able to laugh without crying.
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Fri Nov 11, 2016 08:14 PM
I said in my original post that I don't think either Clinton or Trump would be any better than the other. I think we would have been screwed no matter who would win.
On Sat Nov 12, 2016 05:48 AM
maureensiobhan wrote:

I said in my original post that I don't think either Clinton or Trump would be any better than the other. I think we would have been screwed no matter who would win.

Do you have no political leanings at all? Did you not go "which candidates policies do I agree with the most?" As a democrat I relate to Clintons policies the most. Chances are you are not going to agree 100% with either candidate - but I feel as though you should choose the one you agree with the most.
On Sat Nov 12, 2016 07:04 AM
I agreed with you too, but I would still have voted, there have been many times when I've voted for what I thought was the lesser of two evils but went out and did it because every vote counts when an election is as hotly contested as this one was.

Oh well, it's a democracy, that means in four years time you all have a chance to boot him out of office, or earlier if he screws up badly enough.
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10711, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Sat Nov 12, 2016 04:40 PM
Trump awfully reminds me of a politican germany had in it´s cruelest and darkest time in history. Trump´s speeches, his promises, his hatred, sexism and xenophobia, it has so many horrifying parallels to the early speeches of Adolf Hitler.
And THAT is damn scary! (And no, this doesn´t mean that I think that the genocide that happened back then in germany will happen in USA now. But yes it does mean that I think that the doors for more harsh racism and homophobic actions are open. And that is unacceptable in my opinion!)

Like webstar I would´ve done anything to be able to vote to prevent this from happening, but as a german this was not really possible for me. Clinton might not have been a good choice either, but ANYTHING is better then someone who shows so much hatred, so much sexism, so much xenophobia.

The result of this election horrifys me, scares me. It was a shock. I knew it was close, but I never wanted to imagine that this could really happen.
Unfortunately the results are there now and the whole world has to live with it (and this DOES affect the whole world since the USA is such a powerful country).
I can only hope that those four years go over fast and that Trump won´t get many chances to show his ugly face as much as he did in his speeches.

To everyone in the USA: stay strong! You can still show that you can be better then that!
You had a black president for 8 years, you allowed same-sex marriage, these are just two things out of many you can be proud of! You mustn´t accept everything this president will do within the next four years!
On Sat Nov 12, 2016 04:57 PM
As someone looking in from the outside I agree Kathy, Mr Trumps new bestie from the UK Nigel Farange is the same, his beliefs and policies echo those from the far right in the 1930's so much the world is becoming a scary place again.
On Sun Nov 13, 2016 02:03 PM
It is very difficult for me to keep 90% of my opinions on this to myself as I have been so heartbroken since the election I can barely stop crying.

I do need to add a very opinionated opinion..... I deeply resent the "lesser of two evils" assessment of this situation as fact. The media and the glib pundits have fed this line so often it is accepted as fact, although I fail to see Mrs. Clinton as "evil". The lazy thinkers repeat this line, but offer no good reasons.

Back when I was a school girl, Richard Nixon and George Wallace ran against Hubert Humphrey, who was a lifelong Democratic Liberal. For those in the South, who would not support a liberal or a Republican, choosing between racist Wallace and criminal Nixon was a lesser of evils. It was. History has borne this out.

I do, in fact, believe anyone who sexually assaults women and never even apologizes for it, lies, lies, and LIES, about his financial situation, doesn't pay taxes, cheats small business men and women by the hundreds, impacting thousands...and does not deny or apologize for any of this, YUP... by my set of values, this is evil. Having a different opinion about abortion, gay rights, forgiving adultery in her own marriage, being Secretary of State when an embassy is attacked abroad (like the EIGHT other attacks in GOP administrations) and yes...even the missing e mails, also like SEVERAL GOP secretaries as well....sorry.... perhaps flawed, but NOT EVIL.

I am more afraid of people who voted for Mr. Trump, than I am of Mr. Trump. I am afraid of adults who are so lazy in their thinking that they can't parse out the real issues of an important campaign and exercise their civic responsibility, FOR THE SAKE OF WORLD PEACE, to even vote. Which, btw, is not hard.

And now... I'm crying again.

Don't Dance
xoxo
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sun Nov 13, 2016 06:22 PM
Don't get scared or anxious. We may get lucky as we did with Reagan.

Old timers will remember how progressives felt about Reagan's election. He had some hare-brained schemes, and was unable to put any of them through.

But lo and behold, he had some good ideas, much to the surprise of progressives at the time, and those he was able to put through - including the disbanding of the Soviet Union. No, he did not do that by himself, but he played a large part.

We may get lucky again.

How do I feel about Trump? He was a very high price to pay to stop Hillary. I myself first backed Carly Fiorina. When she faded, I backed Bernie. Finally I went third party.
On Sun Nov 13, 2016 09:13 PM
Carly Fiorina?? The one who single handedly almost did HP in? And then walked away with a multimillion dollar bonus?? Good Griefity, grief, grief. :O

kk~
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch