Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win?
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Nov 14, 2016 02:04 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2016-11-14 14:07:36 shaking hands make for sloppy posts. Sorry....xoxo
schuhplattler wrote:

Don't get scared or anxious. We may get lucky as we did with Reagan.

Old timers will remember how progressives felt about Reagan's election. He had some hare-brained schemes, and was unable to put any of them through.

But lo and behold, he had some good ideas, much to the surprise of progressives at the time, and those he was able to put through - including the disbanding of the Soviet Union. No, he did not do that by himself, but he played a large part.

We may get lucky again.

How do I feel about Trump? He was a very high price to pay to stop Hillary. I myself first backed Carly Fiorina. When she faded, I backed Bernie. Finally I went third party.

I. CAN'T. EVEN! ..... I too remember the last time the American public confused an actor with a statesman. And my memory of the good old days were these.... Home mortgage rates went into double digits. It was the beginning of both parents needing to work full time to feed young families. Funding for the arts all but disappeared. Deregulation meant trucking and airlines were screwed over and the unions began their death keel. Banks and insurance companies began their horrible rise to the top. The inequality of income soared. Alternative schools all over the country began to close as "trickle down" didn't...except in the most vulgar sense.

Pollyanna is reminding me to be calm.... that the bright side of this post is that yes, you are correct.... this is very much like the years of Mr. Regan...and at least somebody said it. ... Except that he had good manners, was not an overt racist, woman hater, con man, and fraud. Yes, there is a bright side.

I'm off to call the suicide hot line.
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win? (karma: 1)
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4728, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Mon Nov 14, 2016 07:54 PM
I too could very clearly hear echoes of Hitler in Trump's speeches. There have already been many protests around the country about Trump's victory. Some of Trump's supporters shouted "White power! White power". Some have shouted, "Jew-S-A! Jew-S-A!". It's unbelievable how those people could let themselves get so brainwashed, same as Hitler's followers did.

Christine, please accept my offer of the biggest, softest Kleenex available, and a comforting shoulder to cry on. I'm giving you the biggest virtual bear hug imaginable, too.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Wed Nov 16, 2016 03:12 PM
Kandykane, so why did I ever back Carly? She was the only one who could deprive Hillary of a very large group of single-issue voters - those who voted solely on the basis of personal plumbing.

And Carly certainly is no angel, but since you have made the very serious charges that you did, let's see you back them up with documentation, especially your charge that she single-handedly almost did HP in.

Christina, realize that Reagan had to take drastic measures because of the nearly runaway inflation that he inherited from Jimmy Carter. Name two leaders of any nations that ever recovered a nation from 12.4% annual inflation without selling out to the International Bankers and without letting that nation's currency be destroyed (source: Wikipedia). Also, check out Wikipedia's Historical Rankings of Presidents en.wikipedia.org . . . , which shows such rankings from several sources. Reagan did quite well.

So why have I been totally against Hillary no matter what? Google "Clinton Murders" and realize that if those websites did not have documentation for their charges, they would be facing lawsuits for many many millions.
re: U.S. Presidential Election-Who Will Win? (karma: 2)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:57 AM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2016-11-17 11:00:15
fortune.com . . .

Edit: Oh, and "plumbing"? That's insulting.
kk~
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:05 AM
I wonder if all of the female world leaders (and there are many outside of the US) were voted into power because of theirs and their supporters personal plumbing?

What an insult!
On Thu Nov 17, 2016 03:00 PM
schuhplattler wrote:

Christina, realize that Reagan had to take drastic measures... because of the...
blah, blah, blah.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits via cherry picking facts. I could go on and on with facts and figures, including the tactic of robbing the Social Security trust, but it is pointless.

I have a superb memory.... and when my children were young, and I lived in the reality of what the Regan years meant to a blue collar working couple who never asked for a thing from government agencies and were dealt crushing taxes and fees to fatten those of means, I will NOT doubt my own perceptions of what those years meant to me or my family. THANK GOD FOR BILL CLINTON.... He turned around 12 years of the Republican bless me club and helped all ships rise and THAT is the reason things got better for hard working Americans. The fiscal problems we have now are the result of more GOP flim flam....and this is not a plumbing issue. Opinions are not facts, and arguing stupid opinions as if they were facts is well...stupid.

and

It's ChristinE

Keep On Dancing*
On Fri Nov 18, 2016 08:05 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2016-11-18 08:08:51
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2016-11-18 08:09:51
And this is what the rest of the world thought of Ronald Regan

On Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:27 PM
^Thank you.

I am starting to think I've lost my mind. Too many people have been silent, and I fear it is, well, fear. ... and with good reason.

I try to be kind, understanding, open minded, and forgiving. I try to understand the "other side" of issues.... but this is just more than many of us, dare I say, the majority of the voters, can withstand. Very sorry if my vocal opposition offends otherwise good people.

This, from Nobel Prize winner Elie Wiesel...

"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”

Keep On Dancing*
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4728, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Mon Nov 28, 2016 08:20 AM
No doubt you've heard the ridiculous calls for a vote recount. Remember the 2000 election, when Gore kept calling for a voter recount? Trump won this election fair and square. To all those who are clamoring for a recount, I say, get over it. I wasn't too happy with the results, either, but we need to accept it that Trump is going to the next president.
On Mon Nov 28, 2016 08:44 AM
Last time I checked the US was meant to have free speech, if that is still the case then they should be able to call for a recount if they want one.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Tue Nov 29, 2016 07:23 AM
I understand feeling the need to come to terms emotionally with the episode of Black Mirror we now find ourselves in, but the tally sheets published in one of those counties in Wisconsin was pretty freaky - more votes for president than there were ballots cast? I am perfectly fine auditing the vote if it helps give peace of mind to the people that the numbers are correct (or corrected) and that there was no outside influence (i.e. external hacking concerns that have been claimed).

Also, Trump didn't win "fair and square" - the electoral college is deeply flawed and worthy of critical discourse, regardless of one's opinion for or against it remaining. Also, the repeal of the Voting Rights Act paved the way for increased voting restrictions that intentionally (albeit of course not explicitly) disadvantaged minorities and marginalized populations that tend to vote Democrat. These factors deserve to be discussed, not shoved into a drawer and ignored. Will it overturn these election results? Almost certainly not. But the election has brought to light the inherent and blatant racism that permeates our country in these institutional ways, and by the people calling them out for what they are and pressing for change, we can hopefully improve voting rights for all in the future.
Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch