Forum: Highland / Highland - Competitions

Highland - Competitions
Double Highcutting
By fusilli Comments: 31, member since Sun Oct 06, 2013
On Wed Sep 14, 2016 04:06 PM

I heard recently that double highcutting is going to become standard for swords and the reel throughout. Is this what others are hearing?

13 Replies to Double Highcutting

re: Double Highcutting
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 01:21 AM
Do you mean that split highcuts will no be longer allowed?

Because otherwise I always thought that highcuts were double anyway, and we just accept that Primary and Beginners may not yet be able to do them, and do singles until they can do doubles.
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 09:55 AM
Me too. Unless by "double highcutting" we mean doubling on one leg (so instead of R, L, R, L etc. there will be a requirement always to do some sort of pattern including R, R or L, L?).
By fusilli Comments: 31, member since Sun Oct 06, 2013
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 04:12 PM
I had assumed single highcuts were fine unless double was specified, but my teacher seemed to say it's becoming mandatory at all levels.
By Claramel Comments: 35, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 04:38 PM
Edited by Claramel (275472) on 2016-09-15 16:41:44
I just went to a workshop on the new book and you can still do regular high cuts, double high cuts and round the leg hi cuts. The only new thing is double round the leg high cuts where you take your leg from 3rd rear aerial to 3rd aerial then back to third rear all in one jump, then highcut. It's hard and it's in next years championship reel for 16 and over.

Edit: just reading the responses above again: you can't do double highcuts or round the leg highcuts in the swords you can only do them in the reel. You can do extensions on your highcuts though and it's expected for premier dancers to do them (split highcuts) we call them extended highcuts.
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Fri Sep 16, 2016 07:36 AM
As far as I know the book only describes double highcuts, and singles is something that aren't judged to harshly in the lower categories but would be in the higher ones. So essentially, what the OP is saying is the way I thought it always already had been...?
Splits is fine technically to leave out, although with two dancers with equally good technique the one who did splits would be preferred as long as the technique of the splits was sound. But doubles - I'm pretty sure that's always been required at all levels, but not a big deal for Primary and Beginners to not quite have yet.
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:41 AM
There is no such thing as a "single high cut". The definition in the book includes a re-extension.
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:26 PM
punkqueenie wrote:

There is no such thing as a "single high cut". The definition in the book includes a re-extension.

Yes, exactly.
By Claramel Comments: 35, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Fri Sep 16, 2016 05:22 PM
A single hicut wouldn't actually be a highcut at all it'd be a spring or hop taking the working foot to 3rd aerial :)
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4728, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:11 AM
OP, please clarify exactly you mean by double high cutting. In the sword dance, do you mean "SP, HP, SP, HP"?
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Sat Sep 17, 2016 06:18 PM
In the sword the highcuts are SP,SP,SP,SP, the re extension is the "double beat" of the highcut. Single highcuts are not technically described in the book, but I'm pretty sure there is a note saying for lower level dancers highcuts can be described as springs to 3rd rear aerial :)
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Sun Sep 18, 2016 02:26 PM
Is SP spring and HP hop?

I also remember that note from somewhere but I don't know if it's in the new book. Maybe it's more of a judging thing? Like white socks for pre-premier and when you need a vest/jacket?

There are a lot of changes coming for 2017 but I think they are mostly steps as opposed to changing actual movements. Or, it could just be a clarification of something we already do, I suppose.
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Sun Sep 18, 2016 03:16 PM
Yes SP is spring and HP is hop :)
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Wed Oct 05, 2016 09:04 AM
Claramel wrote:

Edit: just reading the responses above again: you can't do double highcuts or round the leg highcuts in the swords you can only do them in the reel. You can do extensions on your highcuts though and it's expected for premier dancers to do them (split highcuts) we call them extended highcuts.

Ah, good point. I forgot we were talking specifically about Sword.

ReplySendWatch