Forum: Adults / Adult Dancers

Adult Dancers
Returning to Ballet
By heartofadancer2 Comments: 48, member since Sun Mar 27, 2011
On Thu Sep 15, 2016 05:11 PM

I use to be in Ballet in my 20s. I recently got intrested in it again. I was never on Pointe but would like to be. Right now I'm doing stretching and flexibility routines at home. I'm going to take classes next semester at the community college. I'm 43 right now. Is it unrealistic for me to start up and is it possable to be better than I was and do pointwork? Thanks.

2 Replies to Returning to Ballet

re: Returning to Ballet
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Sep 17, 2016 08:13 AM
Hi! Good Morning and Happy Weekend to you!

First off, Congratulations on re-discovering your interest in ballet as an older adult!! Many of us have had to start and stop numerous times during our lives, and some (like me) never really started till we were into our adulthood in the 1st place.

So as not to have to repeat all that has been so well said before, go have a look back at some of the posts within the last year in the Adults, Advice, and Ballet forums here on DDN. On these you will find a number of returning - to -dance poster's asking similar questions like yours.

In a few brief, NO - It is never too late to start learning ballet or to re-start learning it once again.

One advantage you will have in class as an older adult is that you truly want to be in class for the love of learning this art form, and that will make you a better student as you will be able to concentrate on what you are doing--now because you want to do it. You have the heart for it!

Next, again, NO - It is not too late to learn pointe at your age.

I myself, have only in the last year begun taking pointe lesson's (in private), and I am 50. With some research you can find a lot of blogs, sites for older adult recreational ballet dancer's who are now getting on (or back on) point well into their 40's, 50's, and even 60's. With the right conditioning, instruction, and desire, I am sure you will be able to achieve your getting onto pointe goal.

The only problem us older folks have in or returning to dance (well most of us anyway as there are a few lucky people out there) is that we have naturally loosing some of our flexibility as we continue to age. Plus, other things like our metabolism's slowing down, reflex's not what they used to be, etc.

If your personal living, working, and financial situation is good, and you have the time and resources to devote to some semi-serious training as a hobbyist, then Yes, I would believe you could certainly become better than you were when you stopped.

I always love to make acquaintances with other older adults who are doing armature/recreationalist ballet, so feel free to drop me a PM if I can help answering any of your questions.

Hope this has helped. Sarah
re: Returning to Ballet
By heartofadancer2 Comments: 48, member since Sun Mar 27, 2011
On Sun Sep 18, 2016 05:01 PM
Thank you. I've been practicing my flexibility at home. Thank you for the encouragement. I will let you know how I'm doing.

ReplySendWatch