Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Girls & Guys
Need a faster way to dry my leotards!
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:24 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2016-09-16 11:29:03 To change a word.
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2016-09-16 11:31:23 To change a word.

Every dancer knows that leotards are a royal pain to wash. But I don't have a problem washing my leotards--I have a problem drying them.

Using a washer and dryer is completely out of the question for me so I always handwash my leotards in cold water. I then attempt to squeeze as much water out of them as possible, and then let them hang from a bar to drip dry. I sometimes try to speed up the process with a hair dryer or heater.

Where my problem comes in is that I am always on the move and I usually only have about two or three hours for them to drip dry before I have to remove them from the bar (so nobody steals them). If they're not dry by that time (and usually they're not), I'll have no choice but to stuff them in a plastic bag and hope to get a second chance to dry them in the future before the wetness makes them even more stinky.
I also don't have anywhere for them to hang while I'm sleeping.

Any suggestions, please?

2 Replies to Need a faster way to dry my leotards!

re: Need a faster way to dry my leotards! (karma: 2)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Sep 17, 2016 08:56 AM
I know putting leo's in a washing machine and dryer is not the best for them, is that why you are hand-washing / air drying, or is it because you do not have a washer/dryer? It sounds like you are a student on a very limited budget. Again, even though it is not the best for them, have you considered going to coin-op laundry mat to use a (water)extractor (think big centerfuge) or dryer there? Many laundry mat's have home type washer/dryer's for more delicate items instead of having to use their more heavy duty machines.

Baring that, if you at least have a room to sleep in, you could make a instant red-neck drying rack out of two stacks of books, book size empty cardboard boxes empty milk-crates, or cinder blocks and a number of 1/4 inch or thicker wood dowels (about 4 foot long) You can get everything you need at Home Depot.

Just stack up the books, etc., making two towers of equal height and about 3 foot apart. Then just lay the dowels on top of each end of the tower. Then just lay your rinsed out leotards, tights, etc. over the dowels and they will be able to nicely air-dry. You can do it all at the foot of your bed, and then just break the whole thing down and put it in a corner or closet in your room. You can even air dry your soft and pointe shoes on them by putting the open end of the shoe into the end of a dowel and letting the shoe hang from the throat of the pointe shoe

hope this helps.
re: Need a faster way to dry my leotards! (karma: 2)
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sun Sep 18, 2016 01:17 AM
Have you tried a salad spinner? It sounds silly, but it really helps. You can buy them quite cheaply (and otherwise they make great gifts to ask for birthdays or Christmas ;) ), and it really works to get the excess water out of hand-washed garments, especially small items like leotards.

ReplySendWatch