Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
Demi Pointe shoes
By heartofadancer2 Comments: 48, member since Sun Mar 27, 2011
On Wed Sep 21, 2016 06:40 PM

I would love to strengthen for Pointe work someday. I heard demi Pointe shoes are so good for this. As a beginner should I get them just to practice around the house or just stick with leather slippers?

5 Replies to Demi Pointe shoes

re: Demi Pointe shoes
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Sep 21, 2016 07:35 PM
Demi-pointe shoes aren't worth it. They cost nearly as much as pointe shoes, have far fewer size and brand options, and you can strengthen just as well using a theraband and practicing relevés.
By Gaudium Comments: 1366, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Fri Sep 30, 2016 08:24 AM
practice your relevés, Do not start with demi Pointe shoes or any other shoe until directed to do so by your dance instructor. You could cause unwanted medical problems by starting too early.
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Sep 30, 2016 08:33 AM
As a beginner you should stick to your leather soft shoes and not pre points yet.

I have to say though when I get dancers almost ready for pointe I do like them to use soft blocks before they use pointes as they do start to prepare your body for what it feels like to dance in pointe shoes. I've seen dancers get dramatic improvement in their intrinsic muscles of the foot by wearing soft blocks in regular class.
By heartofadancer2 Comments: 48, member since Sun Mar 27, 2011
On Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:20 AM
Thank you.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Mon Oct 03, 2016 05:57 PM
Sumayah wrote:

Demi-pointe shoes aren't worth it. They cost nearly as much as pointe shoes, have far fewer size and brand options, and you can strengthen just as well using a theraband and practicing relevés.

This. I've done pointe and did ask my ballet teacher about them because he knows I want to do pointe again, but we both know that I'm not ready and it'll probably be in the fall when I am. He said my feet are great, but I need to work on my core. (Which was shot after I got into a car accident and couldn't work out for almost 3 years due to the pain lingering after my spinal fusion and I'm just now starting to dance again)

If you're allergic to latex (I am), they do make silicone therabands which I actually like the feeling of vs. latex because they don't have the powder of them.

ReplySendWatch