Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
Vegetarian my whole life, starting to eat meat, feeling guilty
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:46 AM

Alright, so I was raised strict vegetarian and didn't eat any meat or fish products until I was about 19. At this point I was travelling in Europe and being full veg really wasn't working so I began eating fish. Still no meat, but I started being MUCH more relaxed about animal-based fats, soup stocks, etc.

I'm 22 now and have started dating a (very wonderful and supportive) person who grew up a rural area hunting and fishing. When we visited his family, most of the meals they cooked were very meat-heavy (albeit from the surrounding area and very sustainably farmed), and it looked pretty delicious so instead of eating a very limited diet there I went for it and enjoyed what they offered me. I didn't have any problems with my digestion and I really enjoyed the flavours and textures but I feel so freaking guilty about it now. I've even eaten a couple less sustainable meat products here in the city like hotdogs because now I have a taste for it and, well to be honest I wasn't totally sober at the time either haha.

What do I do? Should I stop eating meat again? I haven't told my mother about this because I know she'd be VERY upset about it and I don't need any more guilt. I know I'm an adult and shouldn't worry about her opinions but I definitely do. Or should I just see this as broadening my horizons and try for sustainable stuff whenever possible? I definitely found meat delicious and it is exciting to be able to try so many new things but I'm afraid I won't be able to get back into vegetarianism later if I want to if I make it a part of my regular diet. To be honest I find vegetarian hot dogs hard to stomach now and that scares me.

Any advice would be great! I know this might seem silly to most people that grew up with meat but because of my background it's definitely the "forbidden fruit" for me.

3 Replies to Vegetarian my whole life, starting to eat meat, feeling guilty

re: Vegetarian my whole life, starting to eat meat, feeling guilty
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:23 PM
Part of the excitement is the taboo-ness of the whole thing. You'd always been raised thinking this was wrong and bad, so you dip your toe in the water behind moms back, and turns out it's kind of good.

But then, how do you confess breaking a rule to your parents?

Do you need to? I mean, you're an adult. If they were paying even a little attention, they probably figured this day was coming when you hooked up with the hunter man.

The way you balance this out is by making it all work, in your life, in your way, in the frame of what you want to be in the world. Do you want to be vegetarian? Do you want to be a meat eater? Do you want to be mostly vegetarian, but with a few exceptions? Life isn't a black and white proposition, it's perfectly fine to toss a little grey in there.
By Vikinghl Comments: 318, member since Thu Aug 21, 2003
On Wed Sep 28, 2016 09:10 PM
Don't feel guilty. Meat tastes good so enjoy it. However, since you have been a vegetarian all your life, your metabolism isn't adjusted for eating meat. Suggestion is to take probiotics and digestive enzymes fro help your body to digest the meat. Otherwise, the meat will sit undigested in your system for a long time and may lead to problems in the future.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:12 PM
I was a vegetarian for twenty years and then added meat back into my diet. Perhaps you should look at those guilty feelings and determine what you feel guilty about. If it is feeling bad over 'defying' your parents then you need to give yourself permission to defy. If you feel guilty for whatever reasons you were a vegetarian for in the first place for then you'll need to sit down and really come to terms with that and then decide what your current stance is. Good luck! :)

ReplySendWatch