Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe - Beginners
elastic or just ribbon?
By sparklystars Comments: 640, member since Fri Jan 06, 2006
On Sun Sep 25, 2016 05:27 AM

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, my searches aren't working but if anyone knows of a previous post on this please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Basically, I'm interested to find out if people use elastic on their pointes, or just ribbon? Is there any benefit to it or is it personal choice? Does it change when you use different shoes?

I got back into pointe a while back but never really had time to dedicate to it. Recently I've started to take it a lot more seriously and got new shoes fitted. I bought elastic just in case, and I did have them on my old pointes but I'm not sure if it actually helps or not. Interested to see what others think!

Thanks so much,

Debbie xx

7 Replies to elastic or just ribbon?

re: elastic or just ribbon?
By Gracie220 Comments: 51, member since Tue Feb 24, 2015
On Mon Sep 26, 2016 08:28 AM
For me, it depends on the shoe. With most shoes, I like to sew criss-cross elastics because they help keep the shoe pulled against my arches so they look nicer. However, that's probably not necessary when I wear Grishko 2007s, which fit me like a glove and have 3/4 shanks and a deep heel that doesn't tend to slip off. I can get away with just ribbons for those.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Mon Sep 26, 2016 04:44 PM
I actually stopped using ribbon and just use criss-cross elastic.
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Sep 27, 2016 08:53 AM
It depends on the fit of the shoe or how much support your foot needs. People with super arched feet could need elastic across the instep to help support their foot, sometimes people like to have a bit of elastic around the back of the ankle if they have a problem with heels slipping. Personally I've only ever used ribbons because they give me enough support on their own.
By audreeflorence Comments: 3, member since Fri Aug 26, 2016
On Thu Sep 29, 2016 07:56 PM
I guess it's personal.. I only wore elastics for years, now I wear elastics and s-t-r-e-t-c-h ribbons because I didn't like the tension of traditional ribbons on my achilles.
I have a friend who almost always used only ribbons and she never got injured.

Like someone said, it depends on the way your foot feels in your shoes.. and of your teacher/school. Some schools have specific restrictions.
On Sun Oct 02, 2016 07:31 AM
Thanks everyone. As soon as I put my new shoes on they felt completely different and I felt like I wouldn't need elastic, but also felt like I've been out of pointe seriously for too long to really know what's good for me and what is best all round. I have decided to just go for ribbons right now, and it seems to be working for me. I still have elastic if I decide to try it out down the line. Luckily my school doesn't have any strict regulations on this so I can experiment a little. Thanks again!
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 855, member since Mon Jan 23, 2012
On Thu Oct 13, 2016 08:38 PM
I have always had to use elastic to keep my heels on, no matter how good the shoes fit, simply because my heels are really, really narrow. That might just be me, though. :)
On Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:12 PM
JigEnPointe I've just seen your reply, and it's funny you say that because I've actually just decided to sew elastic on in the end. I went for a while without but I've notice the last few days that they do seem to be slipping off my heel a little, I do have a narrow heel too.

ReplySendWatch