Forum: Advice / Stretching

Stretching
My middle splits hate me and I have no idea why
By Henrik541 Comments: 3, member since Sun Jul 31, 2011
On Fri Oct 07, 2016 08:07 AM

Hello!

I've been a gymnast for 7 years and never got my middle splits.

Lately, I've been stretching everyday, but still can't get them. I'm affraid I'm doing something wrong. Or maybe the issue is not flexibility.

Before I warm up, it's terrible, it's like, 40 cm above the ground. But if I really warm up, I can get pretty close to touching the floor. The thing is, 5 minutes later, it's terrible again. It's like I didn't stretch at all.

Maybe it's a matter of strength?

I really don't know, I was hoping someone here could relate or maybe suggest some stretches or strength exercises, other than just trying to do the splits.

Or just give me a reason why this happens.

3 Replies to My middle splits hate me and I have no idea why

re: My middle splits hate me and I have no idea why
By mieka Comments: 26, member since Sat Feb 21, 2015
On Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:59 AM
I have this problem sometimes as well, my middle splits will get to almost the floor, I come out of the position and relax and then it's miles away again! I wouldn't push your body too much, it's probably going tight as a reaction to the stretch. I've had success using massage balls to press against the muscles gently to release them. You might be holding a lot of tension in your muscles. Make sure to really breath while holding the stretch and then afterwards let your muscles relax as much as possible.
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:58 PM
You gave part of the solution in your question.

This is not a stretch that should be done before a warm up, only do it after class or at least after a good warm up. And yes, you need to breath, stretching without breathing is like trying to drive your car without gas in the tank and you wouldn't do that would you :)
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:11 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2016-12-14 11:12:37 add word
I used to be able to do the middle splits but I lost a bit of flexibility over the years and so now I'm trying to regain the technique again. Just like you, I also seem to lose all of my flexibility five minutes after my most recent stretch.

However, what's even stranger is that as soon as I pass the half-hour mark on my stretches, I seem to gradually LOSE flexibility as I continue to stretch.

Does this happen because my muscles are getting too exhausted from all the stretching?

ReplySendWatch