Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
II Broke My Wrist-Couldn't Believe the Extent of the Damage (karma: 1)
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4728, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Mon Oct 10, 2016 03:45 PM

This past Saturday night, I slipped and lost my footing on a step. I put out my right hand to break the fall. I felt a click in the wrist. When I stood up, I saw right away that my left hand had suddenly gone limp. I went to the urgent care unit at the local hospital, where the attending physician ordered an x-ray. He advised me to see an orthopedist. I saw this doctor today. I couldn't believe it when he said the ulna was broken in three places, and that the ligament that connects the radius and ulna was torn. I'm going to have surgery tomorrow morning to have a pin put in the wrist. It's going to be done on an outpatient basis. I'm not looking forward to having a full arm cast for two to three weeks. I will then go back to the doctor to have the pin taken out, then have a cast on the forearm for another two weeks :( . Luckily, though, it was my left wrist that was broken, as I'm right-handed.

When I injured my wrist on Saturday, I immediately felt cold and started shivering. That shivering could have been from shock.

So we see, I'm going to be out of commission for quite some time. I won't be able to teach my ballet and highland dancing classes :( .

20 Replies to II Broke My Wrist-Couldn't Believe the Extent of the Damage

re: II Broke My Wrist-Couldn't Believe the Extent of the Damage
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:21 PM
...why won't you be able to teach?
On Tue Oct 11, 2016 01:26 PM
I had wanted to continue to teach, but the SO said, "No, you'tr not going to teach>".

At the hospital this morning, the surgeon explained that a titanium metal plate was inserted into the forearm to better stabilize the bones than a pin could do. T he plate has to stay in there forever.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Oct 11, 2016 03:44 PM
Oh man. That would devastate me. Frankly, I need the income and wouldn't be able to take off. I'd teach giving verbal cues and request an assistant to help with demonstrating.
On Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:49 PM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2016-10-12 12:51:33 left out a word
My forearm is, as you might guess, very sore today at the point where the incision was made. There was some genuine pain this morning. I took a dose of the hydrocodone the doctor prescribed. That helped ease the pain. I was told to keep the arm and fingers moving as much as possible. I suppose that will help keep the deltoid and pectoral muscles as strong as possible, and to keep the blood circulating in my arm and hand until I can get the cast off of my arm.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu Oct 13, 2016 07:28 PM
Oh man I'm so sorry. Does your job offer short term disability? I hope you feel better soon!
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear that, I hope you recover quickly, broken wrists can be nasty.
On Fri Oct 14, 2016 01:26 PM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2016-10-14 13:49:50 wanted to add some more thoughts
I try to stay from the hydrocodone as much as possible. I saw online that hydrocodone is more potent than codeine. I don't want to take the chance of getting addicted to it. I'll take it only if I'm almost writhing in pain. I suppose, too, that once I can get the cast off, I'll need some light therapy to get my elbow and wrist moving again. I have my follow-up appointment with the orthopedist on Monday. I think you can imagine that I can't wait until I get the cast off.

I can't believe it that I thought I'd try cleaning the bathroom today. Fortunately I managed it by using sanitary wipes instead of the spray cleaners. When I finished,my arm was hurting such that I had to take a dose of hydrocodone. In bed, I've used a cushion to help prop up my arm.

I can't wait until I can get this cast off :( . I'll just have to be patient, though. An injury of this severity certainly isn't going to heal overnight.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Oct 14, 2016 02:30 PM
Don't be a hero with the pain medication. It's alright to take it. The possibility of becoming addicted - maybe! - isn't worth the agony. My boss had a root canal and they gave her hydrocodone and she refused to take it. By day three, she was in so much pain and was so looped that someone had to go to the store to fill the prescription for her. Don't be a hero.
On Fri Oct 14, 2016 06:05 PM
My cousin too told me to take some of the medication as soon as I start feeling any pain. If you let the pain get any worse, the medication won't have any effect on the pain.
On Mon Oct 17, 2016 02:39 PM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2016-10-17 15:35:23 added some words
I just got back from my follow-up with the orthopedist. He cut a small window into the cast to see how the incision is healing. Everything is healing properly. He said if things continue to look good, I may be able to get the full-arm cast off a bit sooner than we thought, and wear just the forearm cast.
On Mon Oct 17, 2016 04:44 PM
Glad you're healing up quickly! I hope you get out of the full cast and into the more manageable one soon!
On Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:11 AM
I have to admit, it's really uncomfortable to sleep at night, even with my arm propped up on a pillow. My deltoid and bicep muscles of the left arm get very achy. Lying on my back with my arm propped up on a pillow isn't the most comfortable sleep position in the first place. Would any of you have any suggestions on how else to alleviate the ache?

My next follow-up visit to the doctor is on Halloween. That will be a full three weeks since I had to start wearing the full-arm cast. I'm hoping I'll be able to get this full-arm cast off then, and start wearing the forearm cast.
On Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:03 AM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2016-10-31 10:06:07
Update on my wrist: I just got home from the orthopedist. The doctor said everything is healing very well. I'm down to the forearm cast now. The forearm cast has to stay on my wrist for another three weeks. It's a relief to get out of the full-arm cast. My left elbow is, as I think you might guess, very stiff, since it's been cramped into the full-arm cast for the past three weeks. I'll just have to do some light bending and straightening of the elbow.
On Mon Oct 31, 2016 02:00 PM
That's great to hear, here's to a speedy recovery!
On Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 AM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2016-11-07 11:09:56 noticed typo
There's certainly an itch inside the cast. One thing I saw online to alleviate the itch is to sprinkle talcum powder into the cast. I would use Johnson&Johnson or Goldbond powder rather than Shower to Shower powder. I would think the heavy perfume in Shower To Shower powder would irritate the itch in the cast more, which would intensify the itch. Do you agree?
On Mon Nov 21, 2016 09:19 AM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2016-11-21 10:37:51 noticed typo, extra punctuation
I just got back from my visit with the orthopedist. I'm happy to report that my wrist is finally out of the cast. Now, I'm wearing a splint. I'll wear this for the next two weeks. I can remove the splint for the shower. The doctor wants me to soak the forearm twice a day in warm water, and do some light therapy while my arm is in the water. It's such a relief to get out of the cast. I'm glad I've got the cast off just in time for the holidays :)
On Mon Nov 21, 2016 04:07 PM
Yay! Progress is always good! I'm glad to hear you're healing up quickly. Good thoughts to your recovery!
On Tue Nov 22, 2016 08:20 AM
It was a relief not to have to wrap my arm in plastic for the shower last night. My left wrist is stiff and sore from being held rigid in a cast for the past six weeks. The doctor advised soaking the wrist in warm water twice a day, and doing some physical therapy exercises with the wrist while the wrist is in the water.
On Thu Dec 08, 2016 08:44 AM
Further update on my wrist-I'm happy to report that I'm finally out of the splint. I just got back from the orthopedist. He said I no longer need the splint. I just have to do some more therapy exercises at home to strengthen the muscles in the forearm.
On Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:29 AM
That's great news, I bet you're glad the arm is finally free :)

ReplySendWatch