Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

Baby On Board
Dancing After Baby
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 855, member since Mon Jan 23, 2012
On Thu Oct 13, 2016 08:04 PM

Hey everyone! :)

I haven't been on DDN for a while, mainly because I haven't been taking regular classes for about two years. I realized I didn't want to teach, and I haven't been able to afford to pay to take an actual adult class. I've been wanting to go back to it, but money has been an issue. Anyway.

Now I find myself pregnant, for the very first time! I'm 9 weeks now, and completely clueless. :P Does anyone have tips and pointers for getting back into dance, either during pregnancy, or post-delivery? I just have no idea what to realistically expect. I know everyone's experience is different, especially considering pre-pregnancy shape, whether or not you're in a company, etc., but any info or experiences at all are something that I am searching for.

*My info: I used to dance professionally in a small Irish dance company, and I was taking ballet/pointe 5-6 days per week to keep in top dance shape. That ended at the beginning of 2014, and then I continued to take (fewer) ballet classes until maybe summer of that same year. I've come back to dance before after a few years' hiatus, but obviously never after a baby.

This pregnancy is kicking my butt so far! I always wanted to be the "healthy pregnant dancer," but I can't even eat without anti-nausea meds... just to kind of place where I'm at in terms of energy. The meds have made me optimistic that I can start doing a simple dance class, or a prenatal yoga class, relatively soon.

Thank you in advance to all.

4 Replies to Dancing After Baby

re: Dancing After Baby
By jaime Comments: 14, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:03 PM
Hello and Welcome back! Congrats on your pregnancy, and sorry to hear about the terrible nausea (been there, too - not fun!!) I actually just wrote an article about dancing and pregnancy that hopefully has some useful info for you: www.dance.net . . . Take good care of yourself, Jaime
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:44 AM
Great to see you back again and congratulations, that's exciting news.

I also had major morning sickness and heart burn during the early stages of my pregnancies. Your hormones change so quickly during these early stages that it can really make you feel ill and tired. It should get better in a few weeks though and then you'll start to feel more human.

I always found a ballet barre made me feel a bit better. Be aware that abs will be more difficult to engage even the in earlier days of pregnancy and as you into the mid to later stages the relaxin in your system will make finding neutral spine (and turnout) interesting to say the least. As I got to the last stages the Martha Graham floor work was better than ballet barre, probably because of this.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Oct 14, 2016 02:46 PM
As for returning to dance after baby - listen to your body. And your doctor.

Because of scheduling problems, I was out for three months after my son was born. I hardly needed it - he was an easy delivery, healthy baby, piece of cake. By the time three months had rolled around, I was beyond ready.

One of our teachers at the studio just had a baby, but her case was much different. Hard delivery that culminated in a C-Section. She was allowed to return to dance at 4 weeks out, but had some activity restrictions - for example, no jumping. Fortunately, most of her students are at a level where she can say the name of the jump, and they'll figure it out! Her little one is 3 months old now, and the activity restrictions are just now starting to be eased up on her.

Listen to your body, and work with your doctors. It'll work out, you'll be back dancing in no time. :D
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 855, member since Mon Jan 23, 2012
On Fri Oct 14, 2016 08:28 PM
Thank you, everyone! You're all being very encouraging, at a time when I really need it. :) *hugs*

ReplySendWatch