Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
Does anyone take adult classes and kid classes at the same studio?
By Iamalittlefishie Comments: 707, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 AM

I used to dance at a pre-professional level at a ballet school for 8 years. I took almost the same amount of time off for college/life with only occassional periods of taking classes and then started a once a week beginner adult class about a year ago. After a few months I sustained a non-dance injury in my hip and after surgery I am only just returning to class. I would like to take more than one class a week, but I am finding beginner classes to be a bit too slow of a pace. The classes are an hour and 15 minutes long and an hour of that is at the barre. This is the best stusio in my area that has adult classes that seem like they are for dancing, and not for exercise only. The class is also offered only from 8pm-915pm. With my work schedule I am usually in bed at 8pm. :)

Does your studio let adults take classes with kids? Their teenagers (age 15+) are very far above my strength and technique level. If I had to guess I'd be closer to their 12 year olds. I don't mind (I am 24, but I can usually pass for 15), but I was not sure if this is something studios would normally go for or if parents would be okay with it. I danced with adults as a kid, but maybe things have changed in the last 15 years? I'd prefer to not have to go to every one of their classes, just an extra one per week.

How did you ask about registering for kids classes? Were you the first or were others doing it already?

Thanks. :)

9 Replies to Does anyone take adult classes and kid classes at the same studio?

re: Does anyone take adult classes and kid classes at the same studio?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:35 AM
Last year I took an advanced jazz class with teenagers. I was also taking an adult jazz class at the same studio. The advanced class had 12-18 y/olds. Most of them did not realize at first how old I was (25, at the time). But, this is the same studio I grew up dancing at and I know the owner.

My point is to just ask. When I went to enroll I said I guess I'll take the adult class but the owner suggested I take the advanced class too.

(This year I'm only taking the adult class because of my work schedule)
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Mon Oct 17, 2016 06:40 PM
I am a grandmotherly age and take with 10 year olds, at times. Each studio has its own policy, so ask!
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:28 PM
I'd say it all rests on your studio- ask around and see what you can do. I was in a slightly similar position- i used to be in pre-proffesiional youth programs all year round, and now I'm taking primarily adult drop-in classes at the same studio. I also sometimes drop in on the youth classes I used to take, even though usually, at my studio youth classes are meant to be enrolled in year-round (although I'm only 17 so my situation is a bit different than yours)

Anyways, my point is that you have a history with this studio, and if you talk to the owner/teacher you may be able to work something out
By rmdanceguy1 Comments: 903, member since Sat Nov 19, 2005
On Sun Dec 04, 2016 02:35 PM
One time I took a make up class with a class of girls I am guessing they were about age 10. That was a bit embarrassing.

Another time, I took an advance class with teenage girls as the adult class was getting ready for their part in the recital. Those girls were very supportive. One girl was so sweet she kept coming up to me after class telling me how great I did.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:01 PM
I have taken a kids class before. I wanted to take hip-hop, and the studio I was signing up at was only just really starting to offer hip-hop, so they only really had two options that were open to everyone to sign up, so they put me in the beginner class. The average age was 12 to 15, and I was 23. The beginning of the year, when they were talking about who was in who's class, and who was giving the most homework, that was sort of awkward because I couldn't participate in those discussions, but after they got through those discussions, it was perfectly fine. Performed in the recital, no big deal. I'm short and baby faced, so the only thing that would really tip someone off that I didn't fit in (other then not being able to participate in discussions about school!), was that I had curves a 12 year old didn't. :D
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Tue Dec 13, 2016 07:46 AM
I've done the occasional drop-in make-up class with the older girls (10-14 yr's)class at my school. I just did their individual warm-up and barre' portion of the class but didn't do any center work. But again, it's only been for make-up's and only a handful of times at that.
By doctor1 Comments: 26, member since Fri Sep 30, 2005
On Tue Dec 13, 2016 09:41 AM
I'm trying this at a new studio tonight, and I'm pretty nervous. I'm trying to find a class that meets my schedule which is more than basic adult beginners class so the school said I could try a class with the teenagers. I don't know what level they are though. At least there is another adult in the class, and they said "dance is dance", and that age difference wouldn't be a big deal. We'll see if I can cut it...
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sun Dec 18, 2016 08:35 AM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2016-12-18 08:36:06
I eventually want to do pointe again now that my back is "fixed", I might have to take the beginning pointe with 12 year olds. It doesn't bother me. However, if I can, I'll be taking pointe classes at Joffrey in Chicago. :D I just have to talk to the teacher and see if I can take ballet on another night instead of right before class because some of us work for a living and I can't apparate to get downtown in time to take the intermediate ballet right before pointe. Luckily, my ballet teacher knows the pointe teacher, so I'm hoping he'll be able to vouch for me, saying that I take ballet with him once a week and I can do Saturday classes.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Mon Dec 19, 2016 05:32 AM
The only issue I have with taking class with kids is during recital rehearsal time. I lose a lot of classes at that point. It's really hard!

ReplySendWatch