Canadian Studios-Re:Sound vs Socan Music Licensing Fees
By stargaze
On 10/17/2016 22:37:46
Canadian Studio owners! I have been contacted by Re:Sound and was wondering if you pay licensing fees to BOTH Re:Sound and SOCAN? I have been paying SOCAN for years...all of a sudden Re:Sound sends me a letter! I have NEVER heard of them before. Willing to pay the fees, checked out their website, but am kind of annoyed they didn't contact me sooner. Their website is quite out of date and anything I have searched claims that their Tariffs only apply to 2008-2012. Thoughts?
re: Canadian Studios-Re:Sound vs Socan Music Licensing Fees
By hummingbird
On 10/18/2016 13:19:29
Apparently they represent the producers of background music in Canada. When we had our organizations AGM this summer they were brought up as a concern of the SO members. We were recommended to pay if our studios were contacted. In order to not pay you have to be able to prove that you never have any music on in your premises, that means you don't even switch on a radio in the lobby which is pretty much impossible to say about a dance studio. If you belong to a dance organization then I would bring it with them and see if any group agreement can be reached.
By stargaze
On 10/18/2016 21:50:25
Yes, they represent producers and artists of recorded music. Like I said, willing to pay the fees, just find it kind of redundant. I know the USA has a few licensing organizations regarding music...just wish they could all blanket under one roof!!
By hummingbird
On 10/19/2016 07:17:17
Up until recently we only had one but apparently the powers that be think we need another one.
By stargaze
On 10/19/2016 23:36:56
That is how I feel right now..If you check out their website and information published in the "Canada Gazette", copyright Tariffs are only applicable for 2008-2012. There is no other information stating that it is ongoing. In the Q & A's, the website determines that a venue that offers dance will pay $23.42 per year under Tariff 6.A. It seems like a Dolly Dinkle operation to me, yet the Better Business Bureau accredits them. Ugh. I have my back up because when the NRCC was dissolved, it seemed that SOCAN was the governing body of Music Licensing...for which I pay dutifully. NOT ONCE during my University career obtaining my Degree in Dance did I encounter Re:Sound. Just concerned. Where is my money going when I pay the fees? What about my Ballet classes where I play Strauss, Chopin, Tchaikovsky? Those Dudes are long gone...you mean to tell me Re:Sound is paying royalties for recorded music to Dead composers? There has to be a Public Domain loophole. A Musician friend of mine and MEMBER of Resound told me that it is a bunch of people who are just trying to keep a job...yikes!
By hummingbird
On 10/20/2016 11:26:37
Apparently that is all they have to do, advertise in a magazine that no one reads and start collecting money. No wonder it's so easy for scam artists to con people.

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 01/27/2022 04:36:31