Forum: Advice / Support

Support
What do you think of this studio and its teachers? Should I stay?
By dancing__girl Comments: 14, member since Tue Oct 11, 2016
On Sat Oct 22, 2016 07:10 AM
Edited by dancing__girl (277861) on 2016-10-22 07:14:45
Edited by dancing__girl (277861) on 2016-10-22 07:18:21

Hi, I have been doing various types of dance for over 20 years. I moved to a big city recently and would like to hear your opinion about my current studio and its teachers. As the end of the month is approaching, I have to decide whether to change studio or not.

Studio
======

- Very big and clean

- Sprung floor

- It offers various kinds of dance

- Teachers are very good dancers. Some of them are champions. However, as we all know, somebody could be a very good dancer but poor at teaching.

- In previous schools, the teachers taught one dance for 2-3 months. Here, they teach new dance every day. I asked the reason, they said that the studio is a "drop in" studio. Not sure what that really means.

- At the end of each class, staff come in to take videos. Most students put their phones by the mirror for recording too. Sometimes staff and teachers post the videos on the website. Girls who like to be on camera love it but I feel pressured/stress. Usually I have no problem as I am used to have crowd surrounding me taking videos/photos of me dancing. However, here I feel differently here. Perhaps it is because I am not familiar with the type of dances I am learning now.

- While some studios do not allow people to watch the class as they could interfere with learning, here the front wall has mirrors but the back wall is made of glasses. People can stay there to watch the entire class.

- There is no rules. People including the teachers wear street shoes to the dance classes. People can join the class anytime they like. Usually there is no problem but one guy always come in late sometimes by half an hour. I lose focus whenever he comes.

Teachers
========
- I have attended classes from not all but several teachers since I am only interested in a few types of dance

- If you ask them questions, they explain to you. Some also like to ask several times if you have any question. However, they usually do not point out mistakes. I was the best or one of the best in my previous schools. Here, after I asked my teachers to point out my mistakes, they told me that I need to pay more attention about subtle details. They would rather me get a few steps perfectly than just roughly finish up the entire dance. Since they know that I go there to learn, sometimes they point out my mistakes but usually they don't. There were times that I think I got the steps correct but when I watched the videos, I found that I made some mistakes. They did not point out to me in class.

Students
========

- Most of them are very very good dancers in their 20s. Some of them are friendly but a few people (usually the bad dancers) are nasty.

- There is a very annoying guy who has no manner and he likes to dance very close to me as I often stay in the front middle (see thread on "What to do with this new guy"). Whenever he comes, I lose focus and cannot follow the class. Unfortunately, he goes to many classes each week. One way to avoid him is not to learn the kind of dance he likes and join other classes. As he is always late, there is no way of telling if he comes until the middle of the class. It is not good if I just walk to the class next door whenever he comes. Other students just move away from him.

- While a few people go there regularly, the studio is like McDonald's. I go there regularly. Some people only show up once or twice and I never see them again. So, it is difficult to make friends.

6 Replies to What do you think of this studio and its teachers? Should I stay?

re: What do you think of this studio and its teachers? Should I stay?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Oct 22, 2016 06:42 PM
I think while there's a lot to be said positive about the studio, it simply ultimately isn't what you want for a studio, and you should probably go.

In previous schools, the teachers taught one dance for 2-3 months. Here, they teach new dance every day. I asked the reason, they said that the studio is a "drop in" studio. Not sure what that really means.

That means that there's no intentions that you're going to perform these dances anywhere. Teachers that use combos like that, often it's just an opportunity for them to try out choreography they're going to give someone else (it's not uncommon that teachers teach in more then one location at a time). When the entire studio is based on drop ins, you almost have to teach each class like it's a separate event. Which is why the dances you have don't grow from week to week. It's also why they're not offering corrections. You're not going to perform it, and at the end of the hour you're done with it anyway, so why bother?

Stand up for yourself, and get what you need. You're a paying customer, you're entitled to it. If you need to protect that time and that space for yourself, then DO IT.
On Sat Oct 22, 2016 07:59 PM
Edited by dancing__girl (277861) on 2016-10-22 20:03:49
Edited by dancing__girl (277861) on 2016-10-22 20:35:48
Edited by dancing__girl (277861) on 2016-10-22 20:37:15
Thanks. Do you mean that basically most teachers in this studio don't really care if we get the steps right or not since each class is just a one time transaction? Is this kind of drop in studio common? Never encountered any school like that before. What kind of dancers can benefit from going there? Most students who go there seem to be very good already. I heard that some of them are professionals.

I know that in some schools and certain types of dance, the teachers' reputation depends on how the students perform. As a result, they care more about how the students perform. In one of my former schools, the teacher even tested me on the first day to determine if I qualified to be a student in her school.

You are right that the teachers teach at different studios at the same time. Students also go to these studios. Although I am in a big city, I heard that there are only a few large ones and people just circulate among these places. They told me that this studio is the best in the city.

Interesting that almost all of their facebook comments are very positive with five stars. Almost everybody mentioned that the studio is very nice and the teachers are very good. I wonder if I am the one who has the problem. However, I only see most people once or a few times and they never show up again. Perhaps they showed up when I was not there. People wrote that they had learned a lot since they started from not knowing how to dance. Teachers repeat the steps in each class several times and asked us if we have any questions. However, they don't often correct mistakes. How do these students learn? After I met a girl in my class, she commented that this is a very good school and the teachers are very good. However, I have never seen her going there since then. Not sure if she got paid writing positive comments.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:50 PM
It sounds like you want a more traditional class structure. Unfortunately, most adult classes tend to be drop in. I have a drop in class I adore, but life frequently gets in the way. So maybe try a few classes other places and see if it's any different.

Concerning videoing the dances, in the social media driven market, that's how you get your name out there. People judge you based on the pictures and videos you have posted.

Learning a new dance every class makes sense in a drop in situation. The steps may build on skills learned in previous classes, but walking in on week 3 of a combo and trying to learn it all is frustrating in this setting.

To me it sounds like the drop in style of class is where you have the most issue. Check around and see if there's a studio with a more traditional semester set-up. And just because other people like it doesn't mean it's for you. That's why different studios exist, because no one studio is going to be everything to everybody.
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:45 AM
You don't sound very happy at this studio, if I was you I would look around for another studio, I would also look for instructors with a bit more teaching experience, gold medals and championships don't mean anything when it comes to teaching. You should be looking for teachers with certifications or at least people who have done teachers courses and training.

The plus point is you're in a big city now and there will be other choices.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:53 AM
Thanks. Do you mean that basically most teachers in this studio don't really care if we get the steps right or not since each class is just a one time transaction?

Yeah, kind of. You won't be performing these steps anyplace anyway, so you get all the fun of learning new choreography, without the pesky "having to get it right". And for most people, that's fine. When you don't have the same people in class every single week all the time, you can't do as much regarding cleaning the dances up - because you just have to repeat it all again when the missing people come back, and then whenever the people that miss that class come back you have to repeat it again, and then again for anyone that missed that class, and then poor you who was there the whole time has basically paid for the exact same class four times.

And don't be surprised over their Facebook reviews either - if I was in the market for a young teacher with all the newest, coolest choreography, who hosted a class I could come to whenever the notion struck me, that was right in the middle of town, this studio would all I ever wanted. Because it's not personally what you want, doesn't mean no one wanted it!

Is this kind of drop in studio common?

There aren't any that I know of in my area. Some might host a drop in class or two, but I don't know of any that are entirely drop in.
On Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:58 PM
Thanks all for your opinions.

ReplySendWatch