Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
where do i begin?!
By amazingalyssa Comments: 1, member since Sat Oct 22, 2016
On Sat Oct 22, 2016 08:18 PM

I am currently 17 years old and dabbled in a combination dance class during my youth(5-6?) I then promptly had to quit.Recently, as of two years ago i returned to my ballet studies in a beginner teen ballet class in which i was awarded most improved and where i enjoyed my time (the classes where around an 1.5hr-2hrs with two or three a week?).However I was unable to continue my studies due to my schedule among other things.

Currently I would love to learn how to dance and continue ballet for as long as I am able to dance.My goal is not only to get on pointe but also to be able to dance with proper technique and grace although i have rather flat feet/poor arch, horrible back flexibility, and decent turnout and leg flexibility.
I therefore wish to take classes as soon as possible this would then be in collage..

Where do I begin?!
Any tips for beginners? any tips for lesson while in college(not necessarily classes)? any tips for improving my physical limitations? any tips/ recommendations in general about doing my best in class and how to improve fast?

2 Replies to where do i begin?!

re: where do i begin?! (karma: 1)
By dnnydkns Comments: 415, member since Wed Mar 15, 2006
On Mon Oct 24, 2016 06:35 AM
Amelia Earhart, aviator, is attributed with saying, "The most effective way to do it is to do it." So, just find a class (or classes) and go. You've already made the decision to do it. So do it! As for physical limitations, Scott Hamilton, Olympic gold medal-winning ice skater said, "The only disability in life is a bad attitude." Get started with a good attitude, keep going, and improvement WILL follow. As for flexibility, my own experience was it gradually improved over time, presumably due to regular exercise in classes.
re: where do i begin?!
By doctor1 Comments: 26, member since Fri Sep 30, 2005
On Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:05 AM
As you gear up to take classes again, I would recommend working on strength and balance and general flexibility. You would hate to start classes and be limited by feet/calves cramping up, for instance. Hold demi-pointe in first, fifth, sous-sous, retire, etc. You could also practice basic turns to work on spotting. Listen to your body and don't push anything too far. Doing basic barre and stretching videos are things you could do at home to get ready.

ReplySendWatch