Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe - Beginners
One foot more painful on pointe
By sparklystars Comments: 640, member since Fri Jan 06, 2006
On Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:18 PM

Hello, me again!

My left foot is much more painful when doing pointe, and although I could dance on my right foot all day, my left toes start to hurt on pointe almost immediately. I've tried different padding, my shoes have been fitted and my toenails are short enough, but my left leg/foot/ankle is definitely weaker on this side, and I'm wondering if it's down to that?

I find it difficult to even releve on pointe on my left leg, I can get on the box fairly well, but not as well as on my right. Could this be why I find my left foot is sorer, am I not strong enough, not pulling up enough and putting more weight on this foot? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks for any ideas, it's really frustrating me so I'll be glad to get your opinions.

Debbie xx

1 Replies to One foot more painful on pointe

re: One foot more painful on pointe
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:55 PM
Have you been evaluated by a doctor?

Here's why I asked - I hurt my ankle in January. I hobbled around on it a little, and finally went in for an evaluation. "Sprained ankle", they swore I'd be better in 4-6 weeks. 4-6 weeks goes by, and I'm actually arguably worse. The oddesy continues, doctor after doctor swearing that I'll be better, and then being baffled when it doesn't come to pass.

Finally, FINALLY, I end up with a Physical Medicine doctor. In his evaulation, he realizes that the problems are actually stemming from weak hip rotators, and weak muscles in my thigh, and that the ankle (that still isn't better) is as much a symptom as it is an actual problem. When everyone all along had been treating it as if it was the whole problem.

So in the mean time there'd been some cartilage damage which I'm still in treatment for, but I've started doing pilates 2 times a week, and doing a workout to strengthen my leg muscles, and I'm basically seeming improvements every day. I'm dancing at a level now that 6 months ago would have been impossible.

So if you have access to a doctor (and get to a doctor who specializes in this sort of thing, I had to really pound on some doors to get to the Physical Medicine doctor, but I like the guy. Well, I like the attending at that office. The resident I see is a dope, LOL...), getting an evaluation from a doctor certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

ReplySendWatch