Forum: Irish / Irish - Shows

ideas for adult dancers recital piece
By LadyBirdBeetle
On Thu Oct 27, 2016 07:46 AM

We have a class with mixed abilities (beginner-former prelim dancers). Any ideas of how to choreograph a number for them to perform at our upcoming recital? Thanks!

3 Replies to ideas for adult dancers recital piece

re: ideas for adult dancers recital piece
By hummingbird
On Thu Oct 27, 2016 09:12 AM
What style of dance are they learning?
By rosalinde
On Fri Oct 28, 2016 02:52 AM
Well, coming from a school where the TC always wanted far too much ...: keep it simple!

If your audience is familiar with Irish dance, any music will do. But if your audience's knowledge is limited to perhaps vaguely knowing something like Riverdance exists (like where I live), take some show tune. We may have a LOTD overdose, but the audience will like it!

As for the steps: again, keep it simple. Your beginner dancers will not be able to do hardshoe synchronised (or they wouldn't be in beginner). So some simple rhythms they already know works best. My TC loved to do 3 different rhythms together and never understood why it simply turned into an unholy mess - hint: not even the prelim dancers had that perfect LOTD synchro down, let alone the beginners. Maybe just leave the hardshoe out altogether for the whole group, and let the prelims do it as a special show piece.

Softshoe: think figure dancing. Simple steps and interesting shapes work a treat, especially because dancers tend to smile more when dancing together. And all can do 123s. A smattering of (semi-)spontaneous 'whoo!'s adds to the party atmosphere.

If you're a bit tired of using Riverdance or LOTD music, I can recommend using tunes from the show Dance of Desire. Granuaile's (sp?) Dance by Celtic Women (Slip Jig and Reel) is great too.

Hope this helps!
By hummingbird
On Fri Oct 28, 2016 03:14 PM
My apologies, that's what happens when you have multiple tabs open and you just put the wrong reply in.

This is a piece that I've used with mixed level classes with great success, it starts off slowly so there's something for the dancers who aren't so confident, at around 1.22 the tempo picks up to a brisk jig.

The album it's from is Yo Yo Ma and Friends

ReplySendWatch