Forum: Highland / Highland

Highland - General
National Championship Steps...Is this a thing?
By bree_dancer Comments: 308, member since Wed Nov 02, 2005
On Thu Oct 27, 2016 07:54 PM

This may be a stupid question but I am registered for the "National Championship" at the International Gathering of Scottish Highland Dance in Paris next month. Are there set steps for a National Championship? I have never competed in one/ even heard of one before. The registration form (can be found on the event website) says to use the SOBHD set steps. Does that only apply to Highland? Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies to National Championship Steps...Is this a thing?

re: National Championship Steps...Is this a thing?
By highlandnorth Comments: 486, member since Sat Mar 21, 2009
On Thu Oct 27, 2016 08:57 PM
It"s listed on the SOBHD as a championship so it would be the normal SOBHD championship steps for 2016. www.sobhd.net . . .
By bree_dancer Comments: 308, member since Wed Nov 02, 2005
On Thu Oct 27, 2016 09:02 PM
Right...however I'm wondering about the national dances. Separate event with a Barracks and Laddie. I'm under the assumption these are not set steps although listed as a National Championship. I don't want to assume though.
By highlandnorth Comments: 486, member since Sat Mar 21, 2009
On Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:09 PM
The entry form that I am looking at says SOBHD steps for the championships. The National dances would just be 4 step national dances. It notes the groups might be different for the national dances as well.
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Fri Oct 28, 2016 07:08 AM
It would be called a Premiership if it were the set nationals steps. Otherwise it probably means "National" Championship like for the nation, not like national dances.
By kinsidhe Comments: 248, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Fri Oct 28, 2016 07:25 AM
The only set steps of which I am aware regarding the National Dances are the Premiership steps. The Premiership dances this year include the Barracks but not the Laddie so there are no actual -set- steps for that dance this year. Looking at the entry form and information on the website-it seems to me that you would just choose your 4 steps for the National Dances you are participating in, if you are also doing the Championship then that would be the 4 highland dances and -those- dances would be the set steps for this year. Hope that helps.
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Fri Oct 28, 2016 08:03 AM
Another way to tell is to look at the national dances being danced. If they aren't all the Premiership dances for that year then you know it's not a Premiership - so you can choose your steps as per a usual competition for the national dances.

ReplySendWatch