Forum: Advice / Support

Support
Is it a good idea to create another FB account for networkin in my dance school?
By dancing__girl Comments: 14, member since Tue Oct 11, 2016
On Fri Nov 04, 2016 07:49 AM

In my dance school, people usually can find out each other by checking friends of friend via FB. If I don't want some people to access my information, is it a good idea to create another FB account and move all friends from this dance school to the new account?

For privacy, I do not use real name nor post my photo in the new account. I guess this may create a not-so-positive impression from some "new friends". They may think I try to hide something or not being legit. Since people cannot identify me, it may also be difficult for them to accept my friend request unless I tell them first.

What is your view on this?

4 Replies to Is it a good idea to create another FB account for networkin in my dance school?

re: Is it a good idea to create another FB account for networkin in my dance school?
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Sun Nov 06, 2016 01:40 AM
Just because someone sends you a friend request, you don't have to accept it, you can delete "friends" at any time AND you can have filters set up so certain people can only see certain parts of your life.

I have a fb account connected to my job, under my job name, with nothing in it at all personal (job related profile picture, no other pictures st all).

I have my personal fb, with the name my friends know me by and it isn't attached to my job one at all. Even in that, every single friend is filtered into a group, dance friends can only see posts/photos etc related to dance, school friends can only see school related stuff etc. etc. And, I am very choosy who I accept friend requests from, my rule is thst unless I would be happy to go out for a meal with someone, I don't accept a friend request, and every six months or so I go and revise my friends list.

Really, for networking, since networking is job related, a dance specific profile would need to be identifiable as you, you are better off locking down your personal profile!

And really, no matter how locked down your profile is, ypu shouldn't be putting anything online you wouldn't be happy for other people to see!
re: Is it a good idea to create another FB account for networkin in my dance school?
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Sun Nov 06, 2016 01:43 AM
Just because someone sends you a friend request, you don't have to accept it, you can delete "friends" at any time AND you can have filters set up so certain people can only see certain parts of your life.

I have a fb account connected to my job, under my job name, with nothing in it at all personal (job related profile picture, no other pictures st all).

I have my personal fb, with the name my friends know me by and it isn't attached to my job one at all. Even in that, every single friend is filtered into a group, dance friends can only see posts/photos etc related to dance, school friends can only see school related stuff etc. etc. And, I am very choosy who I accept friend requests from, my rule is thst unless I would be happy to go out for a meal with someone, I don't accept a friend request, and every six months or so I go and revise my friends list.

Really, for networking, since networking is job related, a dance specific profile would need to be identifiable as you, you are better off locking down your personal profile!

And really, no matter how locked down your profile is, ypu shouldn't be putting anything online you wouldn't be happy for other people to see!

Comment #10243413 deleted
Removed by Sumayah (204191) on 2016-11-06 06:39:46 Double posted

By dancing__girl Comments: 14, member since Tue Oct 11, 2016
On Fri Nov 11, 2016 01:04 PM
Thanks for the advice.

ReplySendWatch