Forum: Advice / Girls Only

Girls Only
Seeking inventive solution for glitter control
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Mon Nov 07, 2016 07:53 AM

I just recently purchased a lovely, transparent, silk turquoise skirt for an upcoming dance recital and it is perfect. The problem is that there is so much glitter on it that everywhere I go, I leave a trail of glitter behind. The glitter litterly rains off the costume and gets absolutely everywhere.

I really don't want to take the skirt back, but I will have to unless I find a way to keep all the glitter from falling off. Is there something I can spray on the skirt to keep the glitter from falling off?

Or is there any type of transparent mesh I can place over the material to trap the glitter onto the skirt? Please help me out. I don't even care if your advice is silly or stupid, as long as you think it might work.

5 Replies to Seeking inventive solution for glitter control

re: Seeking inventive solution for glitter control (karma: 1)
By Bril Comments: 150, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Mon Nov 07, 2016 01:33 PM
Could you try some sort of spray on adhesive? I think maybe there's something you could find at a fabric store? Or try hairspray, or maybe starch? (The spray and iron kind).
Failing that... Shake it really, really well so most of the glitter is gone?
re: Seeking inventive solution for glitter control (karma: 1)
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Nov 07, 2016 04:57 PM
When I made Irish Dance dresses I had to sew a lot of glitter fabric and that stuff would get everywhere, even to the point of jamming up the workings of my machine sometimes. This is what I would do.

Shake the fabric so the worst of the loose glitter falls away then spray it with hairspray.

Be aware that even this is just a case of damage control, glitter will still come off the dress but not to the same degree as it is now.
re: Seeking inventive solution for glitter control
On Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:41 AM
Thank you. I will most certainly try that. (Then maybe I won't have to store my glittery skirt in "quarantine" anymore.)
On Sun Nov 20, 2016 03:49 AM
I'm sad to say that the dress didn't make it to my next rehearsal. There was just too much glitter. I tried all of your ideas and I thank you for the advice.

I shook the dress out for almost an entire hour, however, it snowed just as much blue glitter at the end of the hour as it did at the beginning of the hour. I tried hairspray, I tried vacuuming the glitter off, and I even tried hand-washing it (which was a major mistake in terms of clean-up!)

I finally decided to send it back as I can create a very similar costume on my own (but without the glitter}. I won't finish in time for the recital, but as long as I have something else to wear for it, I'll be fine.

But that doesn't mean I'm no longer accepting any more ideas on glitter control. I have plenty of other costume accessories that are a little heavy on the glitter, and I'd rather much keep those then go through the trouble of recreating them myself.
On Sun Nov 20, 2016 03:55 AM
I'm sad to say that the dress didn't make it to my next rehearsal. There was just too much glitter. I tried all of your ideas and I thank you for the advice.

I shook the dress out for almost an entire hour, however, it snowed just as much blue glitter at the end of the hour as it did at the beginning of the hour. I tried hairspray, I tried vacuuming the glitter off, and I even tried hand-washing it (which was a major mistake in terms of clean-up!)

I finally decided to send it back as I can create a very similar costume on my own (but without the glitter}. I won't finish in time for the recital, but as long as I have something else to wear for it, I'll be fine.

But that doesn't mean I'm no longer accepting any more ideas on glitter control. I have plenty of other costume accessories that are a little heavy on the glitter, and I'd rather much keep those then go through the trouble of recreating them myself.

ReplySendWatch