Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Guys in Ballet
Honest opinion on ladies dancewear
By richardcruz Comments: 4, member since Thu Dec 10, 2015
On Wed Nov 09, 2016 01:59 PM

I've been dancing ballet for many years and once out of curiosity, tried on ladies tights and leotards, and found them much more comfy and practical. ladies tights are lighter and stretchier, much more comfortable than guy's tights. Ladies leotards are worn outside of the tights, holding tights up in place, and you never have to worry about tights sagging down. Plus, ladies leotards outline the connection between body and legs, making it much easier to see body posture and moves.

The concern is the bulging crotch when guys wearing ladies leotards. The issue can be fixed easily with a proper use of dancebelt. When positioned correctly under the dancebelt, guys crotch can be very flat and smooth, just slightly more prominent than a lady. With that modesty, a guy in ladies tights and leotards can look just as good as a lady.

What do you guys think? Any guys have similar experience?

17 Replies to Honest opinion on ladies dancewear

re: Honest opinion on ladies dancewear
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Thu Nov 10, 2016 04:21 AM
Never tried.
You talking about rehearsal and classes? Or are you talking about performance wear and costumes?
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Thu Nov 10, 2016 08:03 AM
Go ahead if you want to but no one will take you seriously and may laugh at you. There are reason for men to dress appropriately for class but if you feel that you want to wear women's stuff go ahead.
On Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:13 AM
I'm talking about in classes. We are not at a professional performance level. Occasionally we have community performances but they are largely in a more modern style with mostly street like clothing.

However, I certainly think in some performances, if roles call for it, a leotard like costume can be worn by men, just like in certain sports men wear speedo.

So far I only had one comment from a teacher so far, "You are brave". Nothing else.
On Fri Nov 11, 2016 02:33 AM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2016-11-11 02:42:38
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2016-11-11 02:48:12
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2016-11-11 02:50:29
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2016-11-11 02:52:44
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2016-11-11 02:59:26
I believe the term the OP is looking for is 'appropriate' as in, 'what is?' As Silver Dancer pointed out there's nuttin stopin anyone from doin' anythin' ... but whether the teacher and fellow class takers respect one's extraordinary, not to say bizarre or eccentric, actions and behaviors is a whole other consideration. Does one's need to stand out and command attention outweigh all else are the thoughts one would typically need to process ordinarily, since ballet is essentially a shared, social activity. So community standards and expectations need to be seriously factored in. (This sounds like a Dear Abby response geesh!)

For performances, what goes is whatever the designer and AD decide is to be worn (or not) as the costume, period. Dancers may or may not 'like' what they are asked to perform in, however it is not their call generally. In cases where performers are paying for their own costumes maybe there could be some leeway or accommodations.

I personally think that thicker, opaque tights in worn for class might be especially desirable by some, as these garments absorb perspiration and negate the issue of leg hair-related aesthetics. One is there to dance and improve not make a personal fashion statement or model exhibitionistic tendencies, is how some might respond to the OP's querry.

It depends on how reserved and restrained vs. self confident and in your face one is, healthy body image / body shamed, and how much one takes into the consideration the feelings of others present I suppose. If one is doubting or unconfident about one's apparel choices, then why even go there? Just stick with the recognized standards and expectations. No need to push boundaries and test limits, is there? Making a point or expressing a personal need... human behavior and decision making can be fascinating.

Claiming that one dances better or worse depending on what one is wearing (within reason: 60 denier versus 180 denier) to me is like blaming your skis if you fall down while trying to schush downhill ;)

Basically, the OP is asking whether cross dressing and reverse costuming 'in travesti' in class is legit. Women wear 'guys clothing' all the time, yet there is a double standard in play that kind of prohibits the converse, save the Trokaderos, where not only is x-dressing approved, it is encouraged! So go figure.
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Fri Nov 11, 2016 07:33 PM
Just make sure you are wearing a dance belt under your tights! If you want to wear ladies dance wear for classes...go for it. In the dance world usually the dancers are very open minded.

Keep on dancing.......
On Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:18 AM
Thanks for the elaborated response. Yes I do agree with your points on most issues, such as hairy legs under see through tights can be very un-sighting, and that is why I always shave my legs.

"Cross dressing" will never occur if our society is not so double standard. Any dancewear stores you go to, be it online or on the street, you will see that 99% of their shelf space is dedicated to women's dancewear, with all kinds of bright colors, fancy designs and hi-tech fabrics. And what do us men get in that 1% shelf space? Black or white only, one kind of fabric and one kind of design only.

It is natural for both men and women to look for ways to use clothes to express themselves. To think its only women's rights to enjoy all the new designs, new colors and new fabrics, and to confine men in the dark ages, is bigotry.

I would never try on "ladies" wear if men's dancewear had half as many designs and choices as women's.

And yes, dancebelt is a must for men in dancewear. I wear my dancebelt in a way to completely flatten my crotch so there's no prominence in front. Honestly I think all men should wear it this way.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:54 AM
As I said Richard, wear what you want. You just reinforce the stereotype that men who take ballet are weird by wearing women's items! Your teachers comment "You are brave!" I would not take as a compliment. Women command 99% of the shelf space because they buy all that stuff!

In the studio guidelines for attire do you ever see color listed for men? You may see grey listed. Many males don't even wear the studio uniform to class. they ope for athletic stuff instead. Why would a manufacture make all that stuff if the guys aren't going to buy it. There is a lot of color out there. Take a look at "We Love Color" men's performance tights. Eleve (really for younger guy into modern) Yumiko also make a lot of colored stuff for men.

Despite what is said, dance in general is geared toward women not men. It is the brave male that enters the studio. Men have to have a thick skins to be dancers.
On Fri Nov 18, 2016 03:07 PM
Yes our current society considers dance generally a women's art form. That does not mean it is right to suppress men's desire to dance. Women have been very vocal and successful in breaking into traditionally "men's" sports, such as body building, etc.

The first man danced with only tights (not shorts covering) created a huge splash in the public. But today tights are the norm for male dancers. People's attitudes can change, and that requires someone to take initiative first.
By Tomballetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 183, member since Sat Sep 22, 2007
On Mon Nov 28, 2016 08:14 PM
Good to know this, will try!
On Fri Dec 02, 2016 04:22 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2016-12-02 16:26:30
Could not more be in agreement!
Men's typical wardrobe is so boring compared to the choices and options available to women.
Enjoy this:
www.facebook.com . . .

richardcruz wrote:

Thanks for the elaborated response. Yes I do agree with your points on most issues, such as hairy legs under see through tights can be very un-sighting, and that is why I always shave my legs.

"Cross dressing" will never occur if our society is not so double standard. Any dancewear stores you go to, be it online or on the street, you will see that 99% of their shelf space is dedicated to women's dancewear, with all kinds of bright colors, fancy designs and hi-tech fabrics. And what do us men get in that 1% shelf space? Black or white only, one kind of fabric and one kind of design only.

It is natural for both men and women to look for ways to use clothes to express themselves. To think its only women's rights to enjoy all the new designs, new colors and new fabrics, and to confine men in the dark ages, is bigotry.

I would never try on "ladies" wear if men's dancewear had half as many designs and choices as women's.

And yes, dancebelt is a must for men in dancewear. I wear my dancebelt in a way to completely flatten my crotch so there's no prominence in front. Honestly I think all men should wear it this way.
On Fri Dec 02, 2016 04:45 PM
1. Men wore leggings (separate for each leg not joined) or hosiery during the Renaissance. Upper classes (e.g. Henry VIII) wore codpieces that made their endowments decidedly hyperbolic. Women's fashion took this 'look' over, just as they have with tall riding boots today, which are military.

2. A trapeze artist named Leotard developed the body suit that 'strong men' and others into muscle bound physical culture adopted in public displays in the 1800s when even the legs of FURNITURE had to be concealed in polite, sexually repressed Victorian society. Again women absorbed the garment, the leotard. Women didn't always train in ballet in leotards as they do today hwvr.

3. The history of fashion and costume is telling. Used to be a way for the well to do to acquire status (sumptuary laws). Now it's a consumer industry for the masses. Ballet attire goes with that flow, there wasn't an intentional conspiracy to exclude males. It's just how the dictates of fashion along with practical considerations have evolved. Some dance academies use different colours if fabric and styles to differentiate levels of ability. Blue is one option; rarely maroon.

4. In the bird world, males are adorned like peacocks while the females are camouflaged into their surroundings. Conclusion: become a male bird!!!

richardcruz wrote:

Yes our current society considers dance generally a women's art form. That does not mean it is right to suppress men's desire to dance. Women have been very vocal and successful in breaking into traditionally "men's" sports, such as body building, etc.

The first man danced with only tights (not shorts covering) created a huge splash in the public. But today tights are the norm for male dancers. People's attitudes can change, and that requires someone to take initiative first.
On Fri Dec 02, 2016 08:46 PM
Women's fashion took over the leggings look (but not cod pieces!) just as they have male military uniforms and camouflage (women now in combat roles hwvr), flannel checkered shirts, blazers, and other accoutrements of what was originally fashion

Storm_Trouper wrote:

1. Men wore leggings (separate for each leg not joined) or hosiery during the Renaissance. Upper classes (e.g. Henry VIII) wore codpieces that made their endowments decidedly hyperbolic. Women's fashion took this 'look' over, just as they have with tall riding boots today, which are military.

2. A trapeze artist named Leotard developed the body suit that 'strong men' and others into muscle bound physical culture adopted in public displays in the 1800s when even the legs of FURNITURE had to be concealed in polite, sexually repressed Victorian society. Again women absorbed the garment, the leotard. Women didn't always train in ballet in leotards as they do today hwvr.

3. The history of fashion and costume is telling. Used to be a way for the well to do to acquire status (sumptuary laws). Now it's a consumer industry for the masses. Ballet attire goes with that flow, there wasn't an intentional conspiracy to exclude males. It's just how the dictates of fashion along with practical considerations have evolved. Some dance academies use different colours if fabric and styles to differentiate levels of ability. Blue is one option; rarely maroon.

4. In the bird world, males are adorned like peacocks while the females are camouflaged into their surroundings. Conclusion: become a male bird!!!

richardcruz wrote:

On Fri Dec 02, 2016 09:12 PM
luv2plie wrote:

Just make sure you are wearing a dance belt under your tights! If you want to wear ladies dance wear for classes...go for it. In the dance world usually the dancers are very open minded.

Keep on dancing.......

There are several identified issues.

I don't think anyone is supressing the male desire to dance. Sports playing is more popular with and preferred by men by far than dance is in many countries.

I don't think it is valid to declare all dance as being open minded. Some places are more liberal and some more conservative.

Whether you do a female dominated activity like ballet, nursing or teaching is one thing. MKes wear make nursing outfits they don't cross desss. Male (non trans) teachers dress as males; they don't cross dress. So why cross dress in ballet if you are not a drag artist like a Trock?

Modesty is straight forward. Excessive dance belt talk is indicative of an obsession, preoccupation or a fetish perhaps.

If rhe issue is range of fashion choice for makes vs females then what does this have to do with ballet?! If ballet is being exploited as a means to express ones MTF transgender or fetish identity then this strikes me as personal gratification, rather than pursuing an art form. Women and men not sympathetic to displays of personal eccentric expression are going to react as they will. So again what is or isn't appropriate in terms of cross dressing is context dependent. It may be tolerated, accepted or rejected based on established group norms. Taking personal initiative to push boundaries might or might not get the hopes for sought out results of acceptance. Change often takes time.

More males are probably dancing now than ever before so I don't think there is repression, it may only be a personal impression or perspective IMHO.

If black / white is less preferred then ask if you can wear other colors without resorting to female-specific clothing. White tights are meant to be dyed ANY colour of the rainbow. The market demand is too small for retailers to stock multiple colors and sizes. Check online as there is way wider choice.
On Fri Dec 02, 2016 09:18 PM
luv2plie wrote:

Keep on dancing.......

I don't think anyone is supressing the male desire to dance. Sports playing is more popular with and preferred by men by far than dance is in many countries.

I don't think it is valid to declare all dance as being open minded. Some places are more liberal and some more conservative.

Whether you do a female dominated activity like ballet, nursing or teaching is one thing. MKes wear make nursing outfits they don't cross desss. Male (non trans) teachers dress as males; they don't cross dress. So why cross dress in ballet if you are not a drag artist like a Trock?

Modesty is straight forward. Excessive dance belt talk is indicative of an obsession, preoccupation or a fetish perhaps.

If rhe issue is range of fashion choice for makes vs females then what does this have to do with ballet?! If ballet is being exploited as a means to express ones MTF transgender or fetish identity then this strikes me as personal gratification, rather than pursuing an art form. Women and men not sympathetic to displays of personal eccentric expression are going to react as they will. So again what is or isn't appropriate in terms of cross dressing is context dependent. It may be tolerated, accepted or rejected based on established group norms. Taking personal initiative to push boundaries might or might not get the hopes for sought out results of acceptance. Change often takes time.

More males are probably dancing now than ever before so I don't think there is repression, it may only be a personal impression or perspective IMHO.

If black / white is less preferred then ask if you can wear other colors without resorting to female-specific clothing. White tights are meant to be dyed ANY colour of the rainbow. The market demand is too small for retailers to stock multiple colors and sizes. Check online as there is way wider choice.
On Fri Dec 02, 2016 09:19 PM
luv2plie wrote:

Keep on dancing.......

On Fri Dec 02, 2016 09:20 PM
luv2plie wrote:

Keep on dancing.......

On Fri Dec 02, 2016 09:22 PM
luv2plie wrote:

Keep on dancing.......

ReplySendWatch