Forum: Costumes

Teachers - Costumes
Tights for Darker Dancers
By Sappersis Comments: 131, member since Sun Sep 26, 2010
On Mon Nov 14, 2016 07:57 AM

Ladies it's that time of year again and I'm struggling with my options.

In past years I have had my dancers looking for tights at Shades of Dance website. The quality, however, shows and I just cannot ask them to use the brand again.

I really liked Capezio's old "toffee" that they used to have (or at least I thought they used to have it in more than just a fishnet). But I don't see it as an option anymore and I was wondering if anyone was using the "dark suntan" or "mocha" tights and how you feel about the color.

I know that no tight color will perfectly match unless I ask the dancers to self die the tight (or we get really lucky on tone). I have my light dancers use Capezio's Light Suntan knowing it will be slightly darker than some of my dancers and slightly lighter than others. I appreciate the uniform that it creates but I need a second option that offers the same thing for my darker dancers.

Teachers... what are you using and are you satisfied?!?!

Thanks,

4 Replies to Tights for Darker Dancers

Comment #10243577 deleted
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2016-11-16 06:07:26 Advertising isn't free, sorry

re: Tights for Darker Dancers
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4773, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:10 AM
Edited by GetRhythm (133910) on 2016-12-14 00:11:50
We've been using the mocha tights you mentioned for the last few years, and I've been happy with the color. I think it's a pretty good match for my African American students.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Dec 14, 2016 04:25 PM
A studio I used to teach for used the Suntan option for all the dancers. The very fair dancers looked silly because their legs were so much darker. The very dark dancers looked silly because their legs were so much lighter. The only dancers it looked semi-okay on were the Hispanic and Spanish complexions.

I would say go for the Capezio mocha for the darker girls, dark suntan for the dancers who aren't quite as dark, and then light suntan or caramel for the fair dancers. I appreciate that you want the "nude" color tight to generally reflect the dancer and not just be a whitewashed color across the board. I know Dancers of Color are under-represented and it goes a long way to making them feel accepted when they have tights and garments that are made to match them and their bodies. So kudos for that!
By BE_dancestudios Comments: 681, member since Mon Oct 06, 2008
On Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:10 PM
I used to love the capezio mocha tights, but they stock on them is terrible! At one point the completely discontinued the color (turns out after about a year they brought it back).

We now use theatricals coffee - better priced, relative color. They also have a darker color than coffee that I do not recommend, only because the coffee tights look good on all shades of dancers.....but then again, I do not have any really pale girls.

ReplySendWatch