Forum: Irish / Irish - Achievements

Irish - Achievements
Oierachtas help
By Dancinqueen2020 Comments: 6, member since Mon Nov 14, 2016
On Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:04 AM

Hi,
My daughter is going to the big O this year just in traditional set. I am so worried because everyone we have met that is going has a solo dress and she has a black leotard and black school skirt. She is so unhappy and feels like she should just give up because she doesn't have a sparkly outifit­čś× I need help should we buy a solo dress for her to compete? She is basically in a beginner outfit and is having such a hard time finding confidence. She feels like the judge is going to look at her and think she is just a beginner so they won't think she belongs­čś×­čś×

3 Replies to Oierachtas help

re: Oierachtas help
By StrattonBlack Comments: 59, member since Mon Apr 22, 2013
On Mon Nov 14, 2016 01:50 PM
She may feel this way, and it's understandable with all the pressure that's put on parents to provide these high-priced costumes, but it's not unusual to see school skirts in Trad Set at all. As long as her TC has approved it, it's fine. My daughter is an open champ, and we are seeing it more and more in local comps. There was also a girl at Nationals last year that qualified for Worlds in a black skirt and leotard.
If she does not have a dress for regular competition, I'd definitely not buy one just for Oireachtas. They are so expensive and can be hard to sell.
Best of luck to her! :)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Nov 14, 2016 04:08 PM
Tell her not to worry and she needs to give the judges more credit. Especially at this level, they are evaluating her dancing, not her appearance (as long as it's neat and clean). They are looking at her posture, turnout, cross, rhythm, timing, foot placement, overall style...I promise "sequins" is not on the list.

We have had WQ-level girls compete in leotards & skirts when they were in-between dresses and they placed well. Despite this being at the O, trad set really is like any solo competition at a regular feis and she shouldn't feel ashamed that she doesn't have a solo yet. Take heart! Feeling defeated before she gets on stage is going to do more damage to her score than any lack of solo dress could.
By Dresswitch Comments: 444, member since Wed Mar 26, 2008
On Tue Nov 15, 2016 03:20 AM
Lots of dancers, who are between dresses, dance in a black outfit. They make sure the rest of their look is top nudge, like hair, make up, tanner and socks and shoes. Make sure she looks her best, tell her she'll do great and is the best. Confidence has to come from the practice she's put in, not from the dress.

ReplySendWatch