Forum: Adults / Parents Only

Parents Only
ISTD Uniform
By Julia68 Comments: 4, member since Sun Nov 27, 2016
On Mon Nov 28, 2016 02:25 PM
Edited by Julia68 (278306) on 2016-11-28 14:26:46

I'm posting this because I'm over the moon with my son's new dancing school. I just wanted to tell the world.

Our DS Robert is nine and has passed the ISTD Pre Primary and Primary exams. We've recently moved however and he's now doing ISTD Grade 1 at a new dance school where he's the only boy.

Surprisingly the principal has put him in the class uniform of a plum leotard with matching headband and white ankle socks. She said it's only a young class and there's no reason why he can't wear the same as the girls. Robert's loves it and seems to be perfectly happy wearing a leotard. I must say he looks amazing - although sadly hubby doesn't approve.

He's learning a set dance at the moment: 'Picking Blackberries'. I sat in class and saw him holding a wicker basket and running so gracefully around the room. He looked gorgeous! I'm so proud.

6 Replies to ISTD Uniform

re: ISTD Uniform
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Nov 28, 2016 03:13 PM
That's great that your son is doing so well in his dance classes and exams, I have to say I'm not sure why the teacher is asking you to buy a leotard as the ISTD do have a boys uniform and he won't be able to wear his plum leotard for the grade 1 exam.
On Tue Nov 29, 2016 04:02 PM
Thanks so very much Hummingbird!! The dancing school provide their own uniform, but they didn't have anything specifically for boys - sigh! Hence they put him in a leotard, which I definitely thought it was odd, but I'm very happy now - and so is Robert. The main thing is that he isn't singled out as being different, like he was at the previous school. He's more a part of the class and because of that, he loves it.

You're probably right about the exam, but personally I don't see why he can't wear his leotard. We live in a modern world and things change,

Thank you again.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:23 AM
It's worth emailing the ISTD and asking them. I've always found that they respond quickly.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Dec 02, 2016 09:03 PM
This...actually makes me really relieved that my SO doesn't make my son do this.

We don't do ISTD (we're in the States, as I understand, it's not as common here), and our studio is pretty casual as far as uniforms go anyway - as long as everybody wears a leo and tights, we don't fuss that much over colors or patterns or whatever.

But my son has never been made to feel like he was different, or less than for being the only boy. And that's disappointing and frustrating, that apparently you've felt that to such a level that putting him in girls clothes so he looks the same as everyone else is not only an attractive proposition, but a positively thrilling one at that.

Dance isn't an inherently feminine activity, nor should we make the boys feel like they're weird somehow for participating. If we as a sport treat boys like second class citizens, then we have to stop being surprised when we don't have any anymore, because they've all run off to music lessons, or soccer, or whatever, where they feel like they can be their real selfs, and not second fiddle to some girls.
On Sat Dec 03, 2016 03:34 PM
Thank you for your comment Theresa and I'm sorry my post has caused you some frustration. I just love seeing Robert happy and doing well.
On Tue Dec 06, 2016 01:06 AM
Thank you Hummingbird for your suggestion. The principal has spoken to the ISTD who say it's not an issue. It's fine for him to wear the same as the girls. The exam by the way is in May.

ReplySendWatch