Forum: Advice / Stretching

Stretching
HELP!! Where should I begin?!
By maximumbeautyx Comments: 1, member since Fri Dec 02, 2016
On Sun Dec 04, 2016 04:38 PM

I have not danced in at least 11/12 years and I have never in my life been in the terrible shape that I am in. I am severely overweight and have NO FLEXIBILITY at all!! I am dying to get back into dancing but the last time I started dance for the first time I was 2 1/2. I am now 28 years old and pretty much a beginner again.

Does anyone have any great routines for beginner adults or anything that can help me please?!

All comments will be appreciated. :)

3 Replies to HELP!! Where should I begin?!

re: HELP!! Where should I begin?!
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Dec 04, 2016 08:14 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2016-12-04 20:17:06
Apart from general fitness routines you just need to get dancing again!

Get a yoga or barre fitness video if you don't feel comfortable getting straight back into classes right away but do classes as soon as you feel able to because there's nothing that can prepare you for a ballet class like ballet.

doyogawithme.com is an amazing resource that I've found.
By CinderEmma Comments: 138, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:28 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2016-12-06 11:31:49 emoticon
You will need patience when working to regain your flexibility. It isn't something that can be developed overnight. And beware those fake promises on the internet that read "how to get you splits in one day" or whatever. They are bogus and you'll end up tearing your muscles. (It took me over four monthes to get my middle splits and that was with stretching twenty-minutes to a half-hour every day!)

Where do you begin with flexibility? Start off simple, stretching only a few minutes each day. Then start to increase your stretch time each day, little by little. Don't overdo it, but remember that your stretching routine must be consistant for it to be effective. And don't be afraid to back off the stretches if you need to, ESPECIALLY if you feel pain.

Give it time and don't give up, and before you know it, you will be back to your old self again. ;)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Tue Dec 13, 2016 07:22 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2016-12-13 07:29:10
And to add a few things. First--Great for you that you want to start dancing again!!

Next, before you start off, DO have a visit with your GP or Family Practioner and get a exam/check-up! Let him/her know that you want to begin an exercise / dance program again, and that you want to make sure you do not have any underlying medical issues that need to be addressed first. But for now we'll assume you don't.

Then after the great stretching advice above, I would suggest you slowly start to do some easy Cardio too! Like, just start walking. Start off with 15 minutes a day, and work up to 1/2 hr, 45 min, 1 hr, or do a more brisk walking pace when you feel up to it. The Cardio work will not only help with your weight issue, but will also help to begin rebuilding your stamina that will be needed as you re-start dance class once you get back into the studio. Once you start moving you will begin to feel better.

Again, great for you wanting to restart dance again. Best wishes that it goes well for you, and hope this has helped.

P.S. @Hummingbird, thanks for the neat Yoga link!!

ReplySendWatch