Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
How can I make my own turnboard?
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:42 AM

I've recently developed some bad habits with my pirouettes and fourettes: I always close my eyes when I spin. I've always sort of cheated in spotting because I always got too dizzy, but now my newest teacher wants me to break that habit so the audience can see my eyes, and I can see the other dancers around me.

I know I can practice spotting in the mirror and all that, but I'd rather have a turnboard. I don't like the one in my studio, and I would rather build my own then buy one. How do I make one?

2 Replies to How can I make my own turnboard?

re: How can I make my own turnboard?
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Tue Dec 13, 2016 07:11 AM
@CinderEmma, I would love to give you advice on how to build one, but as an engineer I will tell you in this case you are probably going to be much better off purchasing one than trying to make your own,..Seriously.

The trick to a turn board is that it is a solid piece of material that is curved (bent) so that can it will spin on the highest point of the curve formed on the bottom piece of the material (let's say wood or plastic.) Trying to form a short piece of wood or plastic to bend and stay bent is not easy, without tools, and possibly an oven to heat the material to bend it.

I wish there was better news for this one, but honestly, I would advise you to just purchase one. I bought one about a year ago now to use for my home practice, and I think I paid like $20-25 (USD) for it on Amazon. The turn-boards I see at my school/studio have all been commercially made, not a one of them home-made.

Hope this helps!
re: How can I make my own turnboard?
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:02 AM
Wow! I did not realize I could purchase one at such a low price! I think I'll change my mind about making one and buy one from Amazon. Thank you, Sarahdncr.

ReplySendWatch