Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

What Summer Intensive has best scholarships
By Lb54321
On Thu Dec 08, 2016 03:46 PM

I am currently an 18 year old female who has been off of regular ballet classes for nearly a year. Due to financial reasons I have only been taking one class a week for the past few months. Prior to this I was taking classes at a pre-professional ballet school 10+ hours a week for the past two years.
I really want to go back to ballet and am considering going to my previous school to see if I can receive financial aid (I am at a different school now, one that I teach at but the instructor I have comes all the way from NYC and teaches at Joffrey).
So, after that long intro...I would like to go to a summer intensive but cannot afford them. I know in order to get scholarships you must be very good--you have to be good to get in period. Right now, my technique is not very strong for an eighteen year old dancer so I need advice on what to do for an intensive. I asked my teacher (from Joffrey) what intensives would be good for me, he recommended San Francisco Ballet because of my body...I have long legs, small head, fairly good turnout and flexibility (I DO NOT HAVE GOOD FEET!) but I know this is a very hard school to get into and I do not think that I have that much potential.
At this point; I probably missed the boat for a professional career in dance, but I very much want to attend a 'big name' summer intensive. What should I do?
I know that I will not know until I try; but I do not even have the money to spend to audition if I will not get in...what are the best schools in anyone's opinion who give scholarships to those in my position?
Thank you.

5 Replies to What Summer Intensive has best scholarships

re: What Summer Intensive has best scholarships
By isarose
On Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:34 PM
Hello! If you are unsure about your ability to receive a merit scholarship (a talent based scholarship) you can still apply for financial aid scholarships at many schools if they accept you during the audition tour. I would recommend calling or emailing schools that you are interested in to see if they offer scholarships based on financial need. I hope that this helps!
By MeaMSBMD
On Fri Dec 09, 2016 08:07 AM
Hi! CPYB gives work-study scholarships based on need, basically they give you a scholarship and you have to do certain tasks, like vaccuming the studio lobby or something. CPYB is great for students who have maybe taken a break from ballet for a bit and it accepts everyone on a first-come, first-serve basis. Hope this helps!
By Lb54321
On Sat Dec 10, 2016 04:14 PM
Thank you. These comments were both very helpful and I will start contacting some schools shortly. Still; I do not understand why my teacher recommended the San Francisco intensive to me...being how rigorous their selections are.
If anyone else has any more ideas/info please let me know!
Also, does anyone think it possible for me to get a traineeship somewhere?
Thank you.
By dncermama
On Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:20 AM
Anything is always possible. To be honest though, without seeing you dance or hearing about your previous training, it's difficult to ascertain what level you are at. Most schools like San Francisco have their pick of the litter. They will most likely accept younger students who have great potential and because scholarship money is limited with most schools, the merit scholarships will be given to those dancers. As for a traineeship, there are many smaller, regional companies who will probably offer a spot in traineeship. Unfortunately, many of these schools require the student to pay a tuition.
By Lb54321
On Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:46 AM
Thank you dncermama. I have trained for about twelve years...(10 of those years being only five hours of ballet at the max). When I was sixteen I was able to increase my training to about ten hours a week and saw a marked improvement...I was nearly up to par with the girls in my school who trained for many more hours (they got into ABT NY, Ellison, SAB, SFB, Etc.), the following year I was training nearly twenty hours a week for 6 months until I was forced to stop.
The teacher I now have thinks I may have potential...but he could just be being nice as we are both teachers at the same school lol. Anyhow...I hope that come January I can start taking classes at my old school; if they will allow me to be under financial aid... until then, if anyone has any ideas of what I should be doing/ could be doing...or of any strict Russian teachers that would train me for free (far-fetched idea) please let me know. Thank you.

ReplySendWatch