Forum: Advice / Stretching

Stretching
Is this stretch dangerous in high-heel tap shoes?
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:26 AM

I've been working on regaining my middle splits. One of the stretches I use is where I stand with my feet twice my shoulder width apart and, I press the palms of my hands onto the floor in front of me. My legs and back are straight and my feet are flat on the floor.

But do my feet really need to be flat on the floor? I often find it very difficult to squeeze a half hour of "stretching for the middle splits" into my daily schedule. So I sometimes sneak these stretches in while I'm working on my high-heel tap.

It is a pain to remove my high-heel tap shoes just to stretch, so I usually perform the above stretch while I'm already/still in my three inch heels. Is this dangerous? What about two inch heels? Or should I just save this stretch for ballet class?

3 Replies to Is this stretch dangerous in high-heel tap shoes?

re: Is this stretch dangerous in high-heel tap shoes?
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:42 AM
Aside from possibly slipping in tap shoes, I wouldn't say it's dangerous. Ineffectual, but not necessarily dangerous. It's more like you're not going to get the deep stretch you do when your heels are flat. Stretching en releve and stretching flat do different things, so it's probably not going to do what you want it to do.
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Dec 14, 2016 02:08 PM
You need to think about what you're trying to stretch. If it's hamstrings then your feet really need to be flat on the floor and it would be even better if your feet were together. If it's not a hamstring stretch tell us what it's for.
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sun Dec 18, 2016 02:20 PM
It's for the muscles used to achieve a center/middle split. I'm mostly interested in ways to stretch my hip flexors, though, so any advice in that area would really help!

ReplySendWatch