Forum: Advice / Stretching

Stretching
How long did it take you to achieve your middle splits?
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:37 AM

How long did it take you to achieve your middle splits? How long did you stretch per day and which stretches did you use most often?

I used to be able to do the middle splits, but I've lost a lot of flexibility over the years. Now I'm trying to regain my middle splits. The first time I achieved the middle splits in four monthes with about a half-hour of stretching daily. But this second time around, I'm doing the same things I did the first time, only I'm now into my third month and I'm nowhere near where I want to be!

7 Replies to How long did it take you to achieve your middle splits?

re: How long did it take you to achieve your middle splits?
By mieka Comments: 26, member since Sat Feb 21, 2015
On Thu Dec 15, 2016 09:33 AM
Hi CinderEmma,

I'm 22 and it's taken me about a year to achieve a clean split. As someone who is a bit older, I stretch every day but very gently. Doing straddles against the wall, and straddle gravity stretch. Froggies, butterfly stretches and also pikes help me as well. I stretch each for maximum about 1 minute. I stretch about 10-15 minutes when I do my middle splits stretches in total, there are also lots of good hip openers online. I actually very rarely sit in the middle splits because it's too intensive on my knees (I'm usually a couple of centimeters from the floor so I can't fully relax into it.)

It takes a while it's not easy, I wish you good luck and don't force it or you'll be put back.
On Sat Dec 17, 2016 03:00 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2016-12-17 03:01:26 spelling error
What about if I miss a day? It doesn't happen very often but when it does, I'm afraid that it instantly erases all of the hard work that I have put into my stretching. I know my routine has to be very consistant, but there are some instances where I just run out of time.

And even when I think I'm doing everything correctly, sometimes my body sends me warnings in the form of pain and I deliberately skip a day or two of my "super-intense" stretch training to give my muscles time to "catch their breath". I know if I push too hard, I'll hurt myself and end up losing ground instead of gaining it.

I always think of muscle stretches like the stretching of a rubber band. When the rubber band is new, it needs to be stretched over and over again gradually. If it is stretched too far too soon, it will break.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Dec 17, 2016 04:15 PM
Long time. Just this year did I get them. I've been dancing for 20 years.
On Thu Dec 22, 2016 02:43 PM
Honestly I missed 3 months once due to injury and it made little difference. I discovered a big improvement once I started using foam rollers. What I've been doing recently is 3-4 days stretching full routines (15 minute warm up + full set of stretches right down to middle splits with more intensive stretches) and then the other days doing gentler stretches, maybe a yoga routine something similar and foam roller exercises. This has stopped me from getting pain, but has kept the joints loose. I really would be careful stretching that intensely everyday. It sounds like you might not be relaxing in the stretch - really try to completely relax and breath in and out it will take a lot of pressure off. I like to do froggies with a pillow under my chest so I can lie on it and relax.
On Thu Dec 22, 2016 07:48 PM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2016-12-22 19:53:12 to add a crying emoticon
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2016-12-22 19:56:31 to add a crying emoticon
I guess I am pretty tense in the stretches. But I'm still breathing. And I just figured that if I stretched a half hour each day instead of fifteen, I'll get my middle splits back twice as soon. Or does it not work that way?

Because a lot of my previous teachers had told me that nothing was going to happen unless I stretch almost every single day. I really don't want to wait twenty years before regaining my middle splits. :C
On Sun Dec 25, 2016 02:14 PM
CinderEmma wrote:

I guess I am pretty tense in the stretches. But I'm still breathing. And I just figured that if I stretched a half hour each day instead of fifteen, I'll get my middle splits back twice as soon. Or does it not work that way?

Because a lot of my previous teachers had told me that nothing was going to happen unless I stretch almost every single day. I really don't want to wait twenty years before regaining my middle splits. :C

I honestly think it's quality over quantity - if you are going to stretch every day make sure you do a really good warm up and a lot of gentle hip openers first like these: s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com . . .

You might also want to check to see if you have a tight lower back. I found that after a certain point my lower back felt really tight after stretching so I started using a foam roller and that's really helped. I'd recommend using it before and after your routine.
On Sun Jan 08, 2017 06:29 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-01-08 06:30:48 mispelled word
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-01-08 06:31:48
Okay, I've been doing some research and talking with other dancers and I think one reason I'm having so much trouble regaining my middle splits is because I need to stretch the connective tissue surrounding the muscles in the medial compartment of the thigh (adductor magnus, longus, and brevis, pectineus, and gracilis.)

When I attempt to do the splits, I always feel a very strong tightness between my pubic bones and the anterior medial aspect of my femur. What kind of stretches should I do?

ReplySendWatch