Forum: Irish / Irish - Teachers and Assistants

HELP- Summer workshop
By reeldesire
On Mon Dec 26, 2016 07:26 AM

hi so i am planning on holding a summer workshop for beginner dancers but i would like some ideas on what to do with the kids to keep them interested.
My plans are to have a week long workshop with a small performance at the hall after to show parents what their children have learned. Also have myself and some older dancers dance more advanced things to show what it is we are trying to work towards. or
Does anyone have ideas for games or things to make the week fun for the kids and not boring after the first day.

Thanks you

2 Replies to HELP- Summer workshop

re: HELP- Summer workshop
By Claramel
On Mon Dec 26, 2016 02:43 PM
One my teacher has done for years with her highland dancing kids is 'ladders'. You lay down long sticks (we use our wooden swords) at intervals of about half a meter or so and put on some bright music. The kids have to jump over them all the way to the end. You can get creative with the type of jumps but we always start with ballet 1st position. You can always jump sideways too.

Another one is a 'catch the leader' type game where all the kids sit in a circle and one dancer has to 'tip' a dancer from behind (she dances around first so you don't know who will be tipped). Then the dancer who was tipped has to chase the other dancer around the circle three times and try to tip her. When you chase you have to do a dance movement I.e. skip to 3's (we did grand jete's in our jazz class).
re: HELP- Summer workshop
By rosalinde
On Tue Dec 27, 2016 01:27 AM
Maybe this thread will help you:
www.dance.net . . .

ReplySendWatch