Forum: Adults / Theatre Production

Theatre Production
Choreographing a show w/ 45 kids! Help! :)
By zen_dancer Comments: 2, member since Wed Dec 21, 2016
On Tue Dec 27, 2016 05:41 PM

I'm choreographing the Lion King Jr this spring, and we begin rehearsals coming up in a few weeks. I've been informed that the first full week of rehearsal will be a dance camp. That is, 3 hours per night, 5 nights a week, and I need to figure out how to entertain and engage 45 kids every night!

I have a good warmup that's about a half hour that consists of cardio, toning and stretching. And we'll do a cool down of maybe yoga or holding longer stretches for 20-30 minutes at the end.

I'm concerned that with across the floor stuff, there will be way too much wait time to entertain all of the kids.

Reaching out to my dance community to help! Ages are 12-18.

Thanks in advance <3

3 Replies to Choreographing a show w/ 45 kids! Help! :)

re: Choreographing a show w/ 45 kids! Help! :)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:30 AM
Are they all at the same level? Cause 45 kids waiting in line to do across the floors when you've got some that can do split leaps and some that don't know how to point their toes will be brutal for everyone. Get a co-teacher, and split them up for that part.
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:24 PM
After the warm up I would have a first class and let the dancers know that it's a semi audition.The first thing you have to do is establish what your dancers strengths are. After that split them into groups, give them a piece of choreography similar to what you'd like to use in the show and see how they cope with it. You could do improv exercises with them. Split them into groups so they can work on a bit of choreography themselves, this will show you the styles they're most comfortable with and if there are any good ideas, which there most certainly might be they can be used in the show. This is a very good way to make your dancers feel invested in the work.

After that get on with your choreography, that way the regular rehearsals can be used for polishing rather than choreography. It's going to be way easier to get all of that ground work done in these workshops rather than as part of the main rehearsals.
By zen_dancer Comments: 2, member since Wed Dec 21, 2016
On Fri Jan 06, 2017 08:52 PM
Thanks so much! Dance week approaches. We actually have another week that is going to be dedicated to dance choreography, and yet another week that is dedicated to just cleaning said choreography :) So this week I want to introduce the kids on what the fundamentals are. I've decided on a few things:

Day 1: Ballet/technique/terms - building a vocabulary
Day 2: African Dance workshop
Day 3: Creating gestures/symbolism through movement
Day 4: Combining contemporary and african movement
Day 5: Review/Continue combinations

All days will involve some sort of team building exercise as well. I'm pretty excited now that I have some sort of general gameplan :) I don't think we'll be able to do really any across the floor because we only have one studio and there are so many kids.

Thanks for all the advice!

ReplySendWatch