Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
Nervous about getting back into ballet... need some pep talks!
By PCharlotte1996 Comments: 1, member since Wed Dec 28, 2016
On Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:24 PM
Edited by PCharlotte1996 (278733) on 2016-12-28 23:26:03

I started ballet when I was 13 (am now 20) but haven't really done it for about a year and a half. I had a bad experience at my old studio, being the oldest one and put in class with 9-11 year olds when I was in high school. I don't have a perfect ballet body, and was often criticized for my wide hips, short legs, bad turnout, etc. I adore ballet but it became a strain on my mental health because I never felt like I would catch up to my peers or meet my personal standards. Eventually I just sort of stopped taking classes (I do a few other types of dance though) but I just really miss ballet. I've grown a lot in terms of learning how to give myself constructive criticism that isn't disheartening, so I think I'm ready to go back to ballet. I've signed up for a class at my college in the spring, but I'm feeling really nervous!! I'm worried the time I've taken off has caused me to fall even more behind. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Does anyone have advice on how to get over myself and just enjoy it?! Thank you!

4 Replies to Nervous about getting back into ballet... need some pep talks!

re: Nervous about getting back into ballet... need some pep talks!
By doctor1 Comments: 26, member since Fri Sep 30, 2005
On Thu Dec 29, 2016 02:13 PM
I am getting back into it as well - I'm 40 and took classes regularly in my 20's and then only occasional drop-in classes since then. I remind myself to enjoy the experience and enjoy the journey, even if I don't improve as much as I'd like. Try to make friends at your new class, and remember dance is only one part of life. Give it everything you have, as many classes as you can afford and have time for, and work hard at things you can control, like getting in good shape for it and work on your weaknesses outside of class. For me, that is calf endurance, balance and turns. If your instructor hangs around after class, don't be afraid to ask specific questions on how you can get better.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Dec 31, 2016 07:53 AM
Also, a introductory college class will be a lot easier and most likely less structured than the grind of studio life. I am guessing that most of your classmates will have little to no experience, so you all will be starting out as equals. Your instructor will know tis too. And remember you are all adults in the class now.
By MPH Comments: 1, member since Fri Dec 02, 2016
On Tue Jan 03, 2017 02:57 AM
i'd suggest that an adult class might be well more adult and away from the idiocy and pressure of children's classes.

there also won't be the the ' you need to be grade x by age y to stay on the the trajectory ' stuff

heck if a boy of 39 can get hooked within a class or two having never actually done a class in his life ...

go for it.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:23 PM
I just got back into ballet myself. Here are some words of hope, especially since I'm coming back from a spinal cord injury.

www.dance.net . . .

ReplySendWatch