Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe - Beginners
Am I over the box? Feedback would be much appreciated
By FlatFeetAdult Comments: 3, member since Sun Jan 01, 2017
On Sun Jan 01, 2017 04:55 AM
Edited by FlatFeetAdult (278787) on 2017-01-01 04:56:31
Edited by FlatFeetAdult (278787) on 2017-01-01 04:57:19

Hello everyone! First time posting. =) I started pre-pointe class 3 months ago and can't tell if I'm over my pointe shoe box because I have flat feet and practically zero instep. Photos were taken while I balanced against the wall because I haven't moved away from the barre. Your feedback would be much appreciated! I welcome constructive feedback too. Thanks muchly in advance. =)

3 Replies to Am I over the box? Feedback would be much appreciated

re: Am I over the box? Feedback would be much appreciated
On Sun Jan 01, 2017 05:34 AM
Reuploading a couple of photos that didn't display properly the first time. The 2nd position is actually the one that worries me most. In case this is relevant, all photos were taken while I balanced against the wall.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Jan 01, 2017 08:33 AM
Getting over your box is less about your feet and more about your ankles. You are over your box just fine - the front edge of the platform is on the ground. The ideal placement is a plumb line from the center of your knee to the tip of your big toe. Your ankles lock out nicely and your knees are pulled up, quads engaged, and especially in the picture in 4th you can see that nice line to the center of the toe.

The feet need strength to control ascent/decent to pointe, as well as muscle control to pull the toes into line under your center. While high arches and high insteps look "pointier" they don't necessarily mean better. A lot of dancers with more flexible feet lack strength and tend to have control issues with their feet, dancers with flatter feet tend to be more strong and stable, but have to work harder to get to that on box position. So it's a trade off. I'd wager you have strong feet and ankles. Open positions like 2nd will be more difficult, because once your ankle is at it's most locked, the foot has to pull the toes under and in a wide position, you probably lack the flexibility in your foot to do so, even though you have the strength.

But! Just like ballet in general, the foot will continue to improve though use. So while you may not be able to achieve a wide position with the entire platform on the floor, as you spend more time en pointe and the shoes break in, you'll get closer to achieving it.
On Sun Jan 01, 2017 04:04 PM
Thank you for your feedback. =)

ReplySendWatch