Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Houston Ballet Summer Intensive Review
By ballerina_2000
On Mon Jan 02, 2017 08:20 PM

What are the class sizes like, the teaching, dorms, overall improvement, etc.? Also, will you get better training than at CPYB or ABT NY?

1 Replies to Houston Ballet Summer Intensive Review

re: Houston Ballet Summer Intensive Review
By dragon_dancer
On Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 PM
Hello!

I myself go to Houston Ballet yearround, and I can assure you, it's a great program.

Here are some things to look out for:

Houston typically likes dancers with great flexibility, good pointework, and a ballet body. Though, in the summer program, there are many different body types. I feel as though in the lower levels, they are looking for relatively skinny and petite people, with long legs, and flexibility. However, if you are over 14, they are most likely looking for a tall body with long legs and arms. Your body type shouldn't stop you from auditioning though, because they're mostly looking for strong technique. If you are trained well and have good artistry, have confidence.

The teachers are pretty good. In the summer, they usually hire more people to teach the classes other than ballet, such as musical theater and what not. All of the teachers have generally the same technique but each has the things they like.

A warning: Houston Ballet SI is an exhausting experience (or at least for me). Be prepared to be challenged endlessly and be super tired and sore. Unlike most summer intensives, Houston goes on for a 6 week program. That's pretty long.

I have never experienced the dorms, because I am a local, but I've heard they are relatively nice and everyone gets along. They have a common room where movies are constantly playing, and the dorms are about 3-5 minutes away from the Center for Dance.

All in all, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Merde! And I hope this helps.

~dragon_dancer

ReplySendWatch