Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Question about audition etiquette
By scoutg
On Tue Jan 03, 2017 07:52 PM

Hi,
I am wondering if it is appropriate to ask for a photo with an instructor of an audition following the audition? I have never seen anyone do this, but have often wanted to.
I have adored taking audition classes from Mr. Peter Boal, the director of PNB, since I was old enough to audition. Last year, I attended the summer program on full scholarship. However, this year I know I will not be able to go to Seattle as it is across the country from where I now live (I moved during this year).
Taking class with Mr. Boal is such a privilege for me, it feels as if the class was made for me, it feels as if his class has made me realize a stronger love for ballet.
I would really appreciate if I could ask Mr. Boal for a photo with him after the class, but I was unsure if that would be out of place in an audition setting. I know if it were a master class, everyone would ask for a photo, but I've never seen anyone ask for a photo after an audition.
I was wondering if it would be okay to do this.
Thank you for your help!

1 Replies to Question about audition etiquette

re: Question about audition etiquette
By Sumayah
On Tue Jan 03, 2017 09:14 PM
My gut instinct is to say no. However, your situation sounds a little unique.

I always tell my students to go up to the instructor and stand in B+ with hands behind your back and thank the teacher followed by a small reverence. You might do the same. Go up to Mr. Boal and stand in B+ and thank him for class. Then say something along the lines of "since this is an audition, I don't know if you're allowed, but would you be willing to take a picture with me?" You've given him an out that way. He can say, no, I'm sorry, I can't. Then you curtesy, thank him again, and you're done. If he says sure, then go get your camera. You never know, he's likely to remember you if you've been regularly auditioning and attended last year. If he seems amenable to talking, tell him what you told us - that you find his classes inspiring and that you look forward to auditioning.

So I guess my response is to go for it - but be prepared for him to say no.

ReplySendWatch