Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
Accessory Navicular
By PlanxtyHugh Comments: 45, member since Tue Mar 04, 2014
On Fri Jan 13, 2017 05:53 AM

I have an accessory navicular bone in my foot and am wondering if any other dancers have had to deal with this as well. If so, what have your symptoms been, and what have you done to support it in order that you could return to dance without pain?

1 Replies to Accessory Navicular

re: Accessory Navicular
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2550, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:09 AM
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. My story is not a typical one, and you definitely don't need to expect this.

Basically, I rolled my foot when I was wearing dance sneakers (NEVER WEAR DANCE SNEAKERS--one of the few things I tell nearly all dancers, especially those with arch issues). Thought I sprained my ankle, but it just wouldn't go away and it was a very focused pain right over the bump that was the navicular (although I didn't know that at the time). The first advice I have is get a pair of good custom orthotics. Your arch on that foot may have fallen, and good arch support is key.

Following that line, there are some ways you can tape your arch during dance. I'm a huge fan of KT tape because I think the support is better than white tape, especially when we need the flexibility when dancing. This one seems like a pretty good video, but if you're in PT I recommend you ask your PT for a taping specifically for you. www.youtube.com . . .

My ortho sent me to PT. I was in PT for about 6 months the first time and, although I was getting stronger, my pain wasn't getting too much better. First dance class back I fell during softshoe and hurt it again. Back to PT. This time, the pain really didn't improve at all. I did not know that there were dance-specific PTs--I highly recommend finding someone who has dancer experience. My PT treated me like a ballet dancer and that really screwed me up when I went back since the forces required of feet in the 2 are so different. This process repeated a couple of times, but always ended with me back in PT. Nearly 2 years after the initial injury, I was sent to surgery. It was removed and they put an anchor in to secure the posterior tib to the main navicular bone. The rehab from that was pretty good--I think I was in PT within 6 weeks post-op and out of PT about 4 months later.

The area still bothers me occasionally, but it's not terrible. Foot strengthening exercises were my friends before and after surgery--towel crunches, doming, and ankle rolls especially.

Make sure you talk with your ortho/PTs and really communicate what you do during dance. Based on your username, I'm assuming Irish--everyone knows we beat up our feet and legs, but very few of them know exactly what is required of us. That will be key to getting the best out of your treatment.

Good luck!

ReplySendWatch