The First Pointe Classes I've Attended In Ten Years
By CinderEmma Comments: 137, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat Jan 14, 2017 06:33 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-01-14 06:36:23
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-01-14 06:37:45
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-01-14 06:53:19
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-01-14 07:03:48
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-01-14 07:07:44
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-01-14 07:09:16 Rewrite to make post better

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Emma and I started ballet in 1998. I then dropped out of ballet school in 2006 because I didn't like how I was treated. Instead of transferring to a different school like I should have done, I instead foolishly decided to dance ballet on my own until 2016. Now I'm back taking classes again, attempting to regain everything I had lost throughout my previous ten years.

At first, I wanted to continue on right where I had left off ten years ago, but they wouldn't allow me. They wanted me to retake beginners classes and work my way up again to ensure I didn't hurt myself. I was worried that they would also require me to dance a full two years in class again before allowing me to return en pointe. Thankfully, my doctor gave me permission to return en pointe at the end of 2016.

It is now 2017 and I finished my first two pointe classes just last week. They were beginner's courses, of course. Prior to my first class, I had sewn up my newest pointe shoes and pointe ribbons in preparation for day one. I wanted to show my new teacher that I was already ahead of the game.

Unfortunately, she told me that I should have waited until she had a chance to inspect my shoes. (Thankfully, I sewd everything correctly due to years of prior experience.) Much to my surprise, we didn't even dance en pointe at all for my first class. All that she taught was stuff like foot taping, how to break in shoes, tying pointe ribbons, etc.

My second class was when she allowed me to get back into the action, even though I knew it wasn't going to be anything intense like arabesques or attitudes. Most of it was simple techniques such as degages, battement tendu, and a WHOLE lot of releves. There was also a lot of barre work and a lot of info involving turnout, allignment, the lower back, and how not to sickle the foot.

But it was all quite a positive experience. I discovered that I can still dance en pointe without all the tremendous pain I feel nowadays. All I needed to do was fix a few bad habits and alignment issues. I've also made quite a few friends as well. Unfortunately, due to ten years of thinking I could dance without any teachers, I had accumulated so much minor damage to my ankles that my pointe technique will never be as good as it was when I had quit ballet class at age sixteen. The price had been paid.

I think the moral of this story is: no matter how good we think we may be in ballet, we should never continue dancing on our own, even if it means transferring somewhere else (money issues noted). Furthermore, I now realize why we should never cease training under a professional higher-up unless we are quitting ballet itself.

2 Replies to The First Pointe Classes I've Attended In Ten Years

re: The First Pointe Classes I've Attended In Ten Years
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:48 PM
@CinderEmma, I liked your post alot!! So glad you have re-discovered dance/ballet again in your adult years. You are certaily doing the right sensible thing with working with qualified teachers now. All you have said about how you are approaching pointe is soo true. As an adlt learner myself, I knew that in wanting to start pointe for the first time, that I needed to do so under the guidence of a professional teacher. So gald I found one, and glad I am taking my timewith it. I,ll never be great with it, but at least I will always have the satisfaction I was able to get up on pointe and do it.
re: The First Pointe Classes I've Attended In Ten Years
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:21 AM
I like it too. I haven't taken a proper pointe class since 2006 either.

ReplySendWatch